1997 SsangYong Musso 602EL 2.9 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Electric windows were inoperable due to the main switch.

Rear left hand door sticks and sometimes does not open.

General Comments:

Very hard to find a reliable mechanic to service due to lack of parts available in Brisbane, Australia.

Unable to track down a cylinder air filter. This vehicle is fitted with 2 air filters and has only 1 listed in the manuals so can't even find a part number. Very frustruting.

Otherwise, great reliable vehicle and very happy with it's performance.

Review Date: 29th June, 2004

13th Mar 2007, 21:38

I also Have the Musso, 1997 Benz 3.2 petrol . . . take your air filter out and go to SuperCheap you will find that you can match it up with one off the shelf.

1997 SsangYong Musso 2.0 doch 2.0 gas from Greece

Summary:

A perfect choice that gives much for less!!

Last part of exhaust need to be changed.

Electric mirror adjuster had problem.

The Gear changer is not very tight and accurate due to the cable mechanism.

Needs to be lifted up for serious out road use.

General Comments:

Very honest car for this money.

Huge space unbelievable volume (like a Grand Cherokee) and very beautiful (for my eyes)

Build like and elephant, but moves much better, it gives you security feeling.

Good 4WD function in general.

Review Date: 28th March, 2003

1997 SsangYong Musso GX220 3.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

High performance 4WD with a hell of a sting in the tail forthe unwary

Front Prop shaft Universal Joint failed at 40,000 miles.

Engine Management Unit failed at 50,000 miles.

General Comments:

Car itself is excellent, but you are held to ransom by the Main Dealers to whom you have to go for almost everything. Set of plug leads were quoted at £180, - on this occasion I managed to find Mercedes leads for half the cost. A huge mark-up.

Similar problem with the exhaust (£320 for the small back box only) Not available elsewhere.

Main Dealers take a huge advantage of this and conbsequently I would never buy one of these again - shame because generally it's a good vehicle.

Review Date: 21st June, 2002

15th Feb 2005, 19:55

I have to agree. I was quoted $260 for a set of rear brake pads. Luckily, I found out they were virtually identical to Holden Commodore disc pads -- at around $36 a set!!

The water pump blew a seal. It was impossible to buy a seal kit -- you have to buy the entire pump -- at $1250!!! I was *lucky* -- my mechanic found a secondhand pump in top nick for *only* $750.

(Prices all Australian dollars.)

I love the car (IL 3200) -- but I don't think I can afford it. Otherwise, I would have a new Rexton in an instant.

9th Aug 2005, 02:03

I totally agree, the prices of parts are incredible.. My water pump went to, I found one for $290, second hand of cause. Its interesting to read other comments on the IL 3200 because that's the model I have. And thank you for saying that the brakes are the same as the commodore, because I need new ones.

28th Dec 2011, 15:33

The big secret with Mussos is to look around for parts. Some parts like the exhaust system are unique to Ssangyong, and you just have to bite the bullet and pay the price (although there are Korean resellers online that are quite cheap). However, a lot of parts can be substituted from other makes and models.

For instance, I needed a rear view mirror as it was missing in mine. I found one of the same type that fitted perfectly on a Renault for $5 at a self serve wrecker.

The lower front cooling fan died, and a replacement that fitted perfectly was found on a Ford Festiva. I found a replacement electric aerial on a Hyundai Lantra and replacement cigarette lighter in a Daewoo.

All of these parts were a direct swap and bolted straight on, but a few of them required the electrical connectors to be changed to suit the Musso.

So, the main lesson here is, before you rush to the dealer looking for parts, try looking on other cars first, as a lot of automotive components are quite generic these days.