2003 Subaru Impreza GX 2.0L from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Diverse car with moderate performance, and awesome grip and handling

Gets a rattle around 3500 RPM when I'm changing gear, that I'm not sure is a good thing

General Comments:

Like I said, funny rattly sound at 3500 RPM. Noise from the engine or transmission (not sure which one) can seem a little excessive around 60-70km/h in 5th gear, I'd love to drive someone else's Impreza just to be sure this is normal, as I'm not sure; just seems a fraction too loud. I'm not doubting the car's mechanical reliability at all; Subaru has an excellent reputation; I just think the previous owners have treated this car a bit poorly, the more I discover about it.

Cruise control can be a little late to respond sometimes, or on random occasions takes forever to increase speed. Needless to say, I don't trust cruise control going past a speed camera, it seems to vary too much, though I've never driven another car with cruise control, so I don't know if that's normal.

Otherwise, top car, grip and handling are awesome, driving position is fantastic, nice amount of room for carrying things for just a 4 cylinder hatch, looks nice and aggressive, great headroom, low range was a surprise, though it's not really geared very low at all in comparison with a dedicated 4x4.

Engine is maybe a little underpowered for the weight of the car, but still totally bearable. Engine sounds nice too.

All round it's a comfortable and enjoyable drive, and it's probably the most suitable car for me and I love it, despite its suspected sketchy history, but that's not the car's fault :)

Review Date: 19th January, 2013

2003 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I will be loyal to Subaru for years

- The only thing that has gone wrong with the car is a blown headlight globe.

- I'm not so happy with the fuel consumption; it does about 11-12L/100km, and uses a lot when accelerating.

General Comments:

- I love this car, it has more than enough acceleration and speed than you need anywhere in Sydney, and even out west.

- Extremely reliable; I can always count on it to start with no issues, and everything in the car is always tip top.

- The interior is durable and great, and the back seats don't fold down, but that is expected in a sporty car like this, and the boot is huge; I expected something much smaller.

- The AWD system is amazing; you cannot un-stick it. I have taken it offroad many times going camping with mates etc, and while everyone else is going side to side on sand and gravel roads, it handles like tarmac.

Overall, I am very pleased with this car, and I'm a P-plate driver, and I cannot believe I have such a good car for the price I paid.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2011

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L from North America

Summary:

The best car I have ever owned

All scheduled maintenance performed by me, or Subaru technicians.

Turbo (TD04) went out at 117k miles. I replaced it with a used TD04 from another WRX for $150.

Battery died at 124k.

2 front O2 sensors. I think those were about $70 each.

Clutch died at 180k miles :) I replaced it with a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Steering wheel has started to "wear" on the top center. I usually have my hand rested there as I drive; not bad, but it's a little rough after 182k miles.

IA-CV gasket, went out at 170ish'k miles. $12 fix.

Ball joints and front axles. These items wore out prematurely, as I drive extremely hard on my car. It is also tracked and auto-crossed.

General Comments:

The WRX does everything well. It may not be the "best" in every category, but it performs extremely well in every category.

Consumer Reports gave it a top pick.

My WRX is driven hard, is highly modified, and it still holds up with all the abuse I put it through.

Basic scheduled maintenance, and these cars will last a long time.

Review Date: 4th September, 2008