1992 Subaru Loyale Reviews

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011
Distance when acquired232000 miles
Previous carMazda MX5

Summary:

A fun to drive car with tons of "personality"

Recently replaced the clutch as it was quite worn when I got the car. Brakes and struts will be next.

Uses a little oil, about 1 quart in 1500-2000 miles. All items I would consider normal wear and tear on any vehicle with almost a quarter of a million miles under its wheels.

General Comments:

This is the third Subaru I have owned.

The first was a 1982 GL wagon. Woefully underpowered, specially with the auto trans that mine had.

The second was a 1990 Justy GL 4WD. I LOVED that car! Fun to drive, economical, great in the snow, bags of personality!

The Loyale is my third Subaru. I bought it after my Miata was totaled while driving in snow.

The Loyale, so far, has been a great car. Could use more power, but the car does have tons of miles on it, and the 5sp trans sounds a bit coarse, but the body and interior are in good shape for the age and mileage.

I will be putting brakes on in the next few months, as they are a bit "soft". I will also be putting on new struts as the car seems a bit "floaty".

Overall, the Loyale has the quirks and personality of an older car, just like its older owner. Hahaha.

Review Date: 11th May, 2011

1992 Subaru Loyale from North America

Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

If you find one, buy one

When I first bought it (106.000 miles on it), the starter needed to be replaced and the head gasket will need to be replaced soon. Other than that, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

General Comments:

Great cheap, reliable car. I bought one with 106,000 miles on it for $800, and it has been incredibly reliable. Left me stranded once, but it was my fault for ignoring the symptoms of a failing starter. With the new starter, it runs great.

Not a fast car. At all. I like the sportier handling and suspension.

Review Date: 19th December, 2010

1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon 1.8L from North America

Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 1.8L Manual

Summary:

Best Subaru's ever made!

Electronic window controls don't all work.

CV boot $250.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I have put next to no money into it, and it takes me everywhere.

Prior to this, I owned a 1997 Subaru Outback, and this car is way better than my Outback. This car only cost me $900, and has never let me down.

I live in Colorado, and the 4wd on this cuts right through the snow way better than the AWD on my Outback, and because you can take it out of 4wd when the roads are good. I get about 28mpg, where my AWD Outback got 22mpg.

This car is made really well. At 154000 miles it still has the original struts and rear brakes, and my mechanic says they look great.

Two things to know about these Loyales, they leak or burn about a quart of oil a month. All of them do, just the way those 1.8L engines are, and they have weak timing belts. The timing belts must be changed every 60,000 miles.

Final verdict:

Reliable.

Cheap to buy; $1000-1500 can get you a good one 4wd.

Good on gas.

I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap quality 4wd car.

Review Date: 19th November, 2010

19th Nov 2010, 15:17

Great car, excellent drivetrain.

My parents had one, and I learned to drive stick on one of these.

These cars will last forever, unless you live anywhere with snow. Ours rusted to pieces very quickly, very poor quality sheetmetal, thin and prone to rust.

If we lived down south however, we would probably still be driving this car!

1992 Subaru Loyale LX 1.8 N/A from North America