1996 Subaru Outback Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1996 Subaru Outback legacy 2.2 liter from North America

Model year1996
Engine and transmission 2.2 liter Automatic
Previous carsubaru outback

The head gasket blew at 151,000 miles, My dad and I figured out the symptoms that led up to this.. your heat is not working so well, you'll smell antifreeze sparingly, and you'll loose 2-5 mpg.

General Comments:

Awesome car, good on gas, always started right up in the cold weather, smooth transmission for having 150,000 miles on it, cold air conditioning, very reliable, the car goes, if you know what I mean, when you're at a red light!!

Review Date: 4th March, 2007

1996 Subaru Outback 2.2 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Previous carMitsubishi Colt

Summary:

A fun to drive and reliable car

Oxygen sensor, front and rear wheel bearings, front sway bar.

General Comments:

My 1996 Outback 5sp 2.2 has been very reliable and is aging gracefully.

I finally had to change the rear brakes at 155k, but the fronts should be good for another 20 - 30k.

The clutch is original and is starting to shudder occasionally, but it's not slipping yet.

I changed the rear struts when I did the brakes, but the front struts are original and could use replacing, but they still corner OK.

Tire wise I'm on my third set. The factory Michelin XWX lasted 45k. they were replaced with 215/70 Michelin X radials that lasted were replaced at 115k with another set of X radials.

Gas mileage averages 23-24 with a high of 30mpg when new. On a recent 1,500 mile trip I got 25 - 27mpg at 75 - 85 mph. I might approach 30mpg if I could drive 65mph.

Review Date: 15th August, 2004

1996 Subaru Outback subaru legacy outback 2.5i from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 2.5i Automatic

Summary:

This car keeps on going, a great value

The piston ring had a crack in it. This problem had gone unnoticed until the engine had 100,000 miles on it. The engine ran fine for this first 100,000 miles.

Something went wrong with the engine (not sure, it was my dad car before mine). The engine was replaced.

General Comments:

This car just keeps on going. If something is wrong with the engine, the car will just keep pushing along.

The seats could be more comfortable, but its not bad.

The all wheel drive handles very well, and when it over steers, the car recovers very quickly.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2004

1996 Subaru Outback 2.5 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

A thinking persons do everything car!

This has been one of the best cars that I've ever owned. The dealer has been honest and the car has been as expected.

I'm not one of those people that gets upset when a car breaks something minor like a lot of people I read about. It's a machine that sits outside and has rocks and mud thrown at it at 60mph so I expect somethings to not be perfect. The only thing that has really gone wrong has been the check engine light comes and goes with no reason. Dealer said the car is fine and I agree so I just put some paper over the light and every thing's great.

Good to note that I was proactive also and changed the oil every 4000 miles as well as had the timing belt and seals changed at 100K as well. The dealer was the cheapest garage to offer that work too interestingly.

General Comments:

I drive a 4x4 Nissan as well and when I need to go into bad weather I choose the Subaru every time. Nothing is as good as Subaru All Wheel Drive.

I'm looking forward to driving the 2000 Outback with the 165bhp engine soon. The annoying part of the older Outbacks is the anemic engine. Great gas mileage, but not a monster on the highway by any means.

Love the conservative interior that continues to look good over the years. It's not trendy or loud so it still looks good.

Review Date: 1st January, 2003