1999 Suzuki Esteem GL Wagon 1.6 from North America

Summary:

The only choice for a wagon in 1999

The Oil pan as been changed at 115000

I had to change a bushing in the shifter because it became really hard to change gears.

The "rear-right" seat belt is not working anymore

The check engine is on, haven't been checked yet, probably an anti-pollution thing.

General Comments:

Probably the nicest little wagon you can find in that range of price. The resale value is poor, then it's a good deal to buy used. There is a lot of room in the trunk, and the back seats folds almost flat. The only things wrong I can find is the noisy engine and the lack of isolation.

Review Date: 27th November, 2005

1999 Suzuki Esteem 1.8 from North America

Summary:

Most reliable car I've ever owned

Stock battery went out after 115000 miles.

General Comments:

In 1999 I bought this esteem brand new for 11,000. Ever since then I've never had to take it to the mechanics for any mechanical problem. I've done the regular maintenance for this car such as oil change, spark plugs, tires, breaks, air filter etc. I was 16 when I first drove this car now I'm 22, and I've beaten the hell out of this car by racing it, gunning the hell out it to red line all the time when I'm in a hurry to work, and taking fast hard turns. All I have to say is that this thing is quick and versatile extremely reliable. It is also great on gas. Only con I have about this car is the rear tail lights, they are way too big and kind of clashes with the rest of the car.

Review Date: 18th November, 2005

1999 Suzuki Esteem Base 1.6 from North America

Summary:

It's a cheap, reliable, sporty car with great gas mileage

The manual trans. is a little noisy. Also the air vents don't stay in place.

General Comments:

Not having the car for very long, it's a peppy little ride. With gas prices over $2.50 a gallon, its well worth it.I've gotten on average 28-city 34-highway mpg.

Review Date: 9th October, 2005

1999 Suzuki Esteem sedan 1.6 from North America

Summary:

This car seems to be a lemon shined up to look like a great deal

The timing belt had to be replaced at 32000 miles.

The transmission is now having to be replaced at 45102 miles with no warning what-so-ever.

The rear side-light covers have faded dramatically and to be replaced at $236 for the pair.

The air conditioning vent in the center console does not stay in place, it constantly tips downward blowing air on the ground.

General Comments:

I have no general comments as I can't think of anything nice to say about this car.

Review Date: 12th July, 2004

22nd Feb 2005, 20:40

That's a pity, as my Esteem wagon has, and continues to work quite well, all things considered.

13th Mar 2007, 10:01

My 99 Suzuki Wagon

For 167,000 miles of service here is the list of broken parts.

2 Door Handles

3 Axle shafts

1 heater core

1 rear hub

1 A/C clutch

These are things that I wouldn't expect to replace. Still all in all this car is a great value for the money. I do run her 75 MPH on the open road often for hours at a time. All you have to do is change the oil and it will keep on ticking!

7th Dec 2010, 07:04

December 7, 2010.

1999 Suzuki Esteem Wagon 1.8, automatic transmission - chain timing belt - a mechanic told me to run the car until it breaks, that it does not need changing - is this true?

116,000 miles - repaired so far.

- A/C fan motor (easy to repair yourself)

- Two front axles (expensive if you go somewhere like $150 each, I watched them do it, if you can lift each side and get under the car, you can do it yourself)

- Engine oil seal (another one you could do it yourself if have right tools, Suzuki part is like $28)

- Have to replace front passenger door handle and rear left door handle, driver door handle is beginning to give me trouble to unlock - still working on these.

- Shakes a lot because needs all new three motor mounts (major project, about $300).

This little car with a made in Japan engine performs well and is excellent value. Very nice looking wagon too, and very practical, but the interior workmanship is poor.