2000 Vauxhall Astra Reviews - Page 6 of 10

2000 Vauxhall Astra astravan LS 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVauxhall Astra

Summary:

Stylish, reliable van, but it could be improved

Within a few months of buying the Astravan from new, the engine warning light came on & I lost power followed by hideous smoking from the exhaust. Took it back to the main dealer who fixed the problem under warranty.

General Comments:

Comfort is good, but I'd like more attention paid to noise reduction. I travel between thirty five thousand & forty thousand miles per year and I'd appreciate saloon car standards of comfort.

Performance is pretty good (especially for a van) but I'd like a few more horsepower. This would make a good van into a great van.

Stylish looks which mean I can use the van socially after work, but I'd like to see more body colors available as standard.

The dashboard is terrible. Dark, gloomy and cheap. The previous Astravan had a far superior dash. Not enough storage places either and no cup holder at all. There is a bottle holder in the door bin, but if you use it, you can't open the window.

I'd like to see Vauxhall improve on what is already a good van. I just wish they'd ask high mileage owners like me what I thought and how I'd improve their product.

Little else to rival the Astravan on the market at present. It's the only van that I'd feel happy about using both socially and at work.

Review Date: 1st March, 2003

9th Jul 2006, 06:01

The next astravan looks like a real rip-snorter! 120BHP & no weight from the back in the form of rear seats & carpets etc. Can't wait! Due out in August 2006.

2000 Vauxhall Astra LS 1.4i 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.4i 16v Manual
Most recent distance31900 miles
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

Affordable Luxury Hatchback. It's Nigh On Perfect

I've had my Astra LS for two weeks now and it's the best car I've driven. Obviously if you're reading this you will realise I haven't had the car for long and no problems so far have occured... fingers crossed.

General Comments:

I love the car. Having not long passed my test (I'm 18), I am lucky to get it. It really is a super drive. Also it has a lot of luxury (Power steering, most electrics, rear seats arm rest, drink holder etc). It is luxurious throughout and VERY roomy for a hatch. I wasn't one of the bores who went for the blue one or the silver one, mine is actually a rather fetching light green metallic. A real beauty. Brilliant. A major improvement for the Astra.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2003

2000 Vauxhall Astra Club 1.7DTi from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.7DTi Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Reliable and cheap to run

Drivers seat started to squeak at about 9000 miles this was fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

It may not be the fastest car around, but it is a spacious estate and very cheap to run (50+ miles per gallon). The only gripes I have with the car are it is a little under powered and the seats could be more comfortable. Other than that I cannot fault the car.

Review Date: 1st December, 2002

2000 Vauxhall Astra .Com 1.6 litre 8v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 litre 8v Manual

Summary:

A smooth, economical and reliable motor

Other than a small problem with squeaky breaks and noisy windscreen wipers. Nothing else has gone wrong with the car since I purchased it. The dealer rectified these faults immediately and without question.

General Comments:

Although the car doesn't shoot away from traffic lights it does get to 70mph quickly and is an extremely smooth ride on motorways or long journeys.

The black interior is smart and the seats are very comfortable.

The steering wheel can feel a little uncomfortable after a long trip and the horn buttons can be a little difficult to hit immediately in an emergency.

Review Date: 26th October, 2002

2000 Vauxhall Astra SXi 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

A quick and comfortable car

The tick over is very erratic. This has caused a problem when coming to a halt, the engine will very often die. I have being using the air conditioning to keep the rev's up!

Parcel shelf latch has broken twice.

General Comments:

For the size of engine the car performs well. It has plenty of low down torque, and pulls well right to the rev limiter. The way the car pulls in 5th gear is especially impressive.

The handling is great. Really! It's a vauxhall I know, but it inspires great confidence in the driver. Under steer is well maintained, and over steer is none existent. Compared to the focus, its just as good!

The cabin is very dull, but comfortable. All the controls are easy to reach, and function well. There is loads of room inside.

Review Date: 18th October, 2002

5th Feb 2008, 11:24

I have had the same erratic idling problem, with the exact same Astra. I found that cleaning the throttle body makes a huge difference. It only takes 20 minutes, carb cleaner, and a flat head screw driver.