1994 Vauxhall Calibra 4x4 Turbo 2.0 16v turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great fun, but needs a more reliable engine

Shattered Piston at 147,500 miles heavily scoring the cylinder block few bob to spend here.

Woodruff key on crankshaft gear shears, bending 10 valves, breaking valve guides at 149,000 miles,

More money.

Woodruff key shears again 40 miles after the rebuild bending all 16 valves this time and whatever else damage I will find when I take the head off it.

General Comments:

Generally this car is very good. it has very appealing styling, performance to match almost anything on the road and handling is superb and with the 6 speed gearbox fuel consumption isn't too bad either, the interior I have in mine is black leather which is very comfortable.

My only Dissappointment really is that the engine seems a little soft especially after all the hours I put into repairing it.

Review Date: 16th November, 2005

1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3 door coupe 2.0 8v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Now a cheap great performing motor

I've had several oil leaks, and the alternator went three months after buying it.

The roof rack rails on the passenger side leak water into the interior which I haven't yet fixed, but I cover the car when it becomes stormy!

The connection between the stereo and the outside aerial has failed preventing me listening to the radio.

General Comments:

I love my car! It's beautiful and elegant, but slightly underpowered. I managed to get a 0 - 60 time of 8.1 seconds on super unleaded, but I crave a more refined model such as the 2.5 V6. I want leather and air conditioning!

Review Date: 5th August, 2002

1994 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A practical, reliable, beautiful looking coupe

At 106000 miles a cambelt tensioner wheel disintegrated allowing the belt to come off and destroy the engine.

I had been told that it had just been given a full service, but there was no real proof as it turns out and the dealer wriggled out of the warranty on the grounds that it was a serviceable item!!

So I would recommend a cambelt and tensioners change if you don't know the exact history of your car!!

A local garage fitted new valves, pistons and a rebuilt head which cost £900.

Vauxhall would charge much much more so be warned!

At 120000 miles it failed its MOT on emissions, so had to have a new exhaust system fitted as the cat converter had failed.

The engine management light had begun to flash periodically, but was sorted out with a new lamda sensor (checks emissions apparently). This was £69 fitted.

At approximately 130000 miles the alternator packed in.

I have had problems with the front discs warping, even though I do mainly motorway driving and rarely touch the brakes. I am on my 3rd set now, so I don't know if it's a problem with the car or that I'm not getting Vauxhall discs and these ones are cheaply made.

General Comments:

I have lowered the car by 30mm, fitted stiffer suspension and fitted 16" Oz racing wheels which I feel makes the car look and feel a lot more sporty. The lower stiffer suspension makes the car much more agile, but of course makes the ride a little harsher over bumpy roads (but not nearly as much as I thought it would!)

Since its first major engine problem back over 50000 miles ago, it's been almost faultless and a joy to own. It still looks fabulous inside and out and has no rust at all!!

The only signs of wear and tear where the gear stick and handbrake gaiters, which I replaced very easily, making the interior look as good as new.

One of its more practical features is its cavernous boot. With the back seats down as well, it will easily take several mountain bikes and all your gear!

I often take 3 bikes plus all our stuff in comfort, which I think is amazing for such a sporty car.

Review Date: 27th August, 2001