1968 Vauxhall Viva Review

Most recent year of ownership1972
Engine and transmission 1.2 petrol Manual
Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carHillman Imp

Summary:

This HB series Viva was the best of the lot

Cannot remember fully after so long, but it did need

Clutch replaced

I think the starter motor needed attention

Replaced one or two wheel bearings

Nothing much else.

General Comments:

This car, like my previous Viva, had been bought new by my father, so when I bought it at 2 years old in 1970 I knew the service history. I was running a Hillman Imp at the time, and it was a good chance to trade up to something with 4 doors and a bit more space and comfort

This was the HB model Viva, and I really liked this car. The flare along the side gave it a classic "Coke bottle" shape, and the deep gloss black colour showed it to best advantage.

This car was the better specified version in the range- more upmarket that the base model, with deep comfortable seats, and nice to drive. All round it had a much better interior than the previous HA model and was a more competent vehicle. I toured Europe in it with no problems.

The rust problem was not as bad on this model as on the HA model Viva, but by 4 years old it was showing some signs of rust bubbling, but not too bad. It could have gone on for a few more years, but I decided in 1972 to trade it in for a new Hillman Avenger GT Automatic - big mistake - the oil crisis started to bite soon after and a thirsty auto was not a good choice.

When my father sold me the HB series Viva he replaced it with the HC series which I did not like at all - it had a different body shape, and was a whole different car to drive - the HB series was nicer.

Review Date: 26th February, 2003