1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

I love it!!!

There is nothing wrong with this car, it couldn't be better!!!

General Comments:

This car is very cute and is in great shape. I love ridding around with the top down. This is overall a great car, and I will keep it until it falls apart. I wouldn't trade my car for any other car in the world!!!

Review Date: 24th July, 2006

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carToyota 4Runner

Summary:

It couldn't be any better!!!!

General Comments:

I love my car!!! It is SO cute. I would recommend this car to anyone. I don't know why so many people are complaining about them, if you have one and don't like it, sell it and get another one.

Overall this car is great, and I love sporting it around town with the top down!!!

Review Date: 17th July, 2006

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Base 2.0 Litre from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 Litre Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carHonda CR-V

Summary:

Cute little car

Cat died at 90,000 miles. Left me stranded on Minnesota's busiest highway.

Lights burn out at random. Some start working all by themselves days later.

I have heard from many Volkswagen professionals that the automatics are horrific and often like to be in 4th gear at any speed.

Love the engine so far, but every time I start it, there is a puff of black smoke and it smells of oil.

General Comments:

Cute little car. Love the convertible and the interior is very nice. This car is a Base model so there are no electronics that ruin my whole day. Just enough electronics to bring havoc into my life.

Review Date: 1st January, 2006

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2.0L gasoline from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 2.0L gasoline Manual
Previous carChevrolet C1500

Summary:

The car looks great, but is not worth buying.

The heated seats in this car are disapointing. They hardly warm at all. After a few trips to the dealer they were unable to fix the problem.

The convertible top started to leak after about two years. I would expect this in a less expensive car, but not in one costing about 25K when new.

Just recently the transmission had a fatal "general failure." Something in the transmission failed and was chewed up by the gears in the manual transmission. Many of the gears are now missing teeth. 77,000 and the transmission needs to be replaced. Oh and of course, they are not cheap for this car (approximately $1000 for a used one).

I've also had various electrical problems with power windows, light bulbs, dome lights, etc.

General Comments:

According too many dealership employees, my problems are common to the Cabrio.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy a Honda or Toyota.

Review Date: 15th March, 2005

29th Apr 2005, 09:18

I have a little more sympathy then the last idiot who commented. One question, our 99 cabrio supposedly has a 10 yr or 100,000 mile warranty on the 'drive-train'. I assume that includes the transmission. Doesn't your car have that as well? My wife drives ours and loves it, but it is nickel and diming us to death as well with dumb things that just shouldn't happen. What a drag.

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Golf Generation 4 2.0 Litre petrol from United Arab Emirates

Model year2000
Engine and transmission 2.0 Litre petrol Automatic

Summary:

Wagen gone wrong!

The car had a few nuisances, which I was aware of at the time of purchase. From past experiences, VW and their parts should not be extremely costly, so I managed to bring down the purchase price against my observations, for a couple of thousand of Dirhams, strongly believing in professional service and excellent support from the local dealer in Dubai.

Having driven the car for myself for a few days before the next major service appointment, I noticed that besides the standard major service - 60K due in 5K km, the car needed new wipers, wheel alignment, tightening of the exhaust, tuning and replacement of light bulbs (they go like mad here in the Gulf, especially on VW’s). I also wanted the dealer to investigate a grinding noise from the front which I suspected to be the wheel bearings (even though they should not go after a mere 55K km, but the harsh climate tends to “swallow” parts in this part of the world).

OBSERVATIONS: I noticed that the car is pretty loud, with plenty of wind noise, very poor rigidity, even for a cabriolet, dashboard quality is rather good while the rear panels are anything, but that. The car squeaks and rumbles in turns, even at low speeds. The leather on the seats started to flake and fade. It was at that moment that I came to the realization (far more devastating for my better half) that the slogan “built for life” will not fit our “Cabby”. Furthermore, to close the electric passenger side window is evidence of German Engineering having the day-off (the motor was replaced twice!), and the brakes are anything, but braking. And before confirming my worst fears, I spoke to two other VW Golf IV Cabrio owners who told me their very, very similar problems with their cars. A disappointment was inevitable!

General Comments:

This is the 7th VW in my family and my wife’s first car.

When we started searching for her “wheels”, we considered a lot of options before narrowing the search down to convertibles; Golf was destined to win.

The acquisition cost was moderate if not similar to the far more expensive models, such as the SAAB Convertible from the previous year. But women love small and compact and there was no chance for me to convince her to go for the SAAB 9-3 (due to the size and rather conservative styling), so we bought this one owner, GCC specification, Golf IV Cabrio.

On the day of service, I was told to expect a bill of Dhs 2200 approx, which is roughly just over US$ 600, for the 60K service alone. Any additional parts or work would be charged separately.

A week and US$ 1150 later, we got the car back. The dealer tried their best which was and is evident, but the car simply refuses to cooperate on the OBSERVATIONS listed above. Furthermore, this 55K km vehicle needed new bearings all round, new shocks, new engine mountings… basically anything that had rubber as its main component needed replacement! And most of the problems are slowly coming back with many more joining the party.

Today, with now over US$ 1800 out-of-our-pockets, the car is listed for sale. Never again!

Review Date: 3rd February, 2005