Rock Solid Reliability and Very Fun!
Idle Control valve ($450.00 Part) Broke causing the car to Idle at around 2000rpm. Fixed with a $1.00 modification, no problems since.
Clutch replaced at 128,000 miles, and in need of this repair again now at 229,973.
Rings are getting bad, burns oil slightly, but not bad for nearly 230,000 miles!
The GTI-16v is Bullet Proof! I have driven mine for over 10 years and it still runs very strong and fast.
I am amazed at the reliability of this car! I have planned to buy a new car years ago, but the GTI will not die!
99% of all problems can be prevented by:
1) Use Only 93+ Octane fuel.
2) Change your oil every 3000 miles and use Only Castrol GTX.
3) Change the Plugs once a year. Only use the OEM Bosh Platinum plugs.
4) Rev it High and Drive it Hard!! The GTI-16v runs better if you keep it cleaned out by reving it up.
5) Change the timing belt every 100,000 miles or you'll be sorry when it breaks and the engine is destroyed.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 31st December, 2002