Where do I start?
1. Water pump and water pump housing were replaced (dealer used super glue to fix the housing and refused to admit shonky work!!)
2. Leaking oil from head gasket (and I'm still leaking oil from somewhere??)
3. Control arms and tie rods changed x2.
4. Air conditioner not cool at all, but now fixed.
5. Sunroof failure (replaced and now starting to play up again).
6. Rotors replaced.
7. Turbo reconditioned.
8. CV joint replaced.
9. Coolant housing replaced.
I have always loved this car, but am now seriously considering switching over to a boring Toyota (much more reliable!). Unfortunately I have put too much money (to date approx $13,000 AUS of my own money, and approx $5,000 of the dealers money under the warranty contract) into this car to let it go for a ridiculous low trade in price, considering I paid $14K with insurance.
I cannot keep up with the costs involved in keeping this car on the road. My wife drives a Jetta 07 diesel, and we too have had some issues with that car as well (though very minor).
The power window control in my Passat is now coming loose off the door, and the seat upholstery is now starting to rip in places, but I think it's wear and tear for a car that is now 12 years old. I wish I could be more positive, because this car is a sweet ride when cruising with the sunroof open. Has lots of give on the freeway (but at what price)?
I get approx 500 km's to a full tank in city driving, and approx 640 km's when on freeway.
Only positives are that the car still looks very stylish for a 12 year old vehicle, and keeps well compared to newer competitive model vehicles (people are always surprised when I tell them how old the car is).
I don't recommend that you buy a Passat!