1996 Volkswagen Polo Reviews

1996 Volkswagen Polo i 1.6 from South Africa

Model year1997
Previous carOpel Astra

Summary:

You make no mistake with this car

I have not yet opened up the engine.

I had to start replacing water pipes at 400000km.

My heater radiator packed up at about 400000km.

My A/C is not working, and that's about it.

General Comments:

What a CAR to have. My next car would be the new Polo Classic.

Review Date: 21st April, 2010

1996 Volkswagen Polo CL 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Model year1996
Year of manufacture1996

Summary:

A little beast

Distributor gap.

Rough, overly high tickover (about 1500 revs).

Unresolved rattle at around 2000 revs any speed / gear.

General Comments:

I bought the Polo as my first car in 2007 for £750. This in my opinion was an excellent deal as the car was low mileage (65k) and came with a full service history.

The build quality of these cars is fantastic. Interior is solidly put together, and the whole car in general feels built like a tank. My car (the CL model) also came with electric windows, central locking and power steering, which made life a whole lot easier. There is reasonable space for 4 people, although the boot is a bit small.

Performance wise, this is a very nippy little car. Faster than the book figures suggest. I managed to squeeze 112mph out of her, although the poor thing objected to this a bit! The engine sounds great and emits a really throaty growl when pushed hard, although it sounds a bit whiny at low revs. The power delivery is also a bit uneven, 0-50 in 2nd and third is great, but 50-70 has a big flat spot, and then it suddenly picks up again at 70.

Fuel economy is reasonable when driven carefully, about 350 miles from a full tank of unleaded, and around 35mpg. This improves on longer trips. Fuel economy is awful however, if this car is driven with a heavy right foot.

Maintenance and reliability wise, this car was excellent. Only one breakdown in 16000 miles of regular use, and this was due to a crack in the distributor cap, causing the engine to keep cutting out whenever I touched the accelerator. This was an easy and cheap fix by my dad's mechanic friend (around 20 quid). Other than this incident, the Polo was 100% reliable, started first time every day regardless of the weather, and always delivered what I wanted of it, from blasting round the Norfolk countryside, to carting 5 lads and our luggage up to the Reading Festival. Insurance costs were reasonable, even with a previous claim.

Sadly, I had to let the Polo go to raise some money to come to uni. I miss her a lot, but would not hesitate to get another one, perhaps a 1.9 diesel next time, as my mate owns one and it does 60mpg. All in all, in my opinion, anyone wanting cheap, reliable and fun first time motoring should seriously consider a Polo. Brilliant little cars.

Review Date: 21st March, 2009

1996 Volkswagen Polo Clim 1.4 from France

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carRenault 5

Summary:

Quite expensive to maintain, but I loved it

The car has been extremely reliable.

General Comments:

This car was seriously built, fast (compared to the Renault 5) stable, silent...

The incredible fact is that this seriously built car was quite difficult to drive. Until I understood how to drive it.

Then, I couldn't drive it another way but sliding it.

I had much fun with it.

This car was fun to drive, fun to look at (nice flash green color).

Was lovely, indeed.

Maintenance was quite expensive though.

Review Date: 6th November, 2007

1996 Volkswagen Polo 1.0L petrol from UK and Ireland

Model year1996
Engine and transmission 1.0L petrol Manual
Previous carNissan Micra

Summary:

Slow Reliable Petrol Burner

Connector on exhaust pipe just below the CAT (Don't know if it's meant to be there) decayed and leaked.

Distributor, I was told it seems to go in all of them.

But that is it.

General Comments:

For reliability this car could nearly be awarded top marks, in the space of time I had it, there was very little (low cost) things that went in it.

This car is a very bad handling car, nearly lost it a few times and I wasn't speeding. I was talking to a man that owns a large scrap yard, he said that it is very hard to get second hand front panels (i.e. bonnets, wings bumpers etc.) due to this reason.

The worst problem I had with this car was the fuel consumption, maybe it was the amount of miles on it, but I have a 1.6 car now and its lighter on petrol.

I wouldn't of minded this as much if the car was fast, but it certainly wasn't, it wouldn't pull you out of bed with its 45BHP.

All in all I can't complain too much about this car because it owed me nothing in the end. I got around (expensively) in this car with little problems.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2007