1984 Volkswagen Quantum Sedan 2.1Liter 5-cylinder from North America

Summary:

Good daily driver, very solid

The speedometer read 15-20 MPH higher than the actual speed.

The emergency brake cable rusted and snapped.

The gas gauge never worked.

The odometer stopped rolling at 99,000 miles.

The gears ground often going into reverse.

Headlight aiming screws cracked, it was impossible to find replacements for them. Headlights were never aimed correctly, the light beams shook all over the road whenever I hit a bump.

Very loud engine, and took a few cranks to get started.

Rusting in a few areas, mostly the front doors.

3 power window motors failed, only replaced 1 of them.

Ball joint failed at 70 mph...

_Almost_ overheats in traffic, and after idling for a long period.

Floorboards had small leaks, duct tape was useful.

Leaked oil slowly, slightly.

General Comments:

This car was very roomy despite its small size, and the seats were very comfortable. It seated five teenagers comfortably. Big trunk.

The instrument panel was very well designed, easy access to everything.

The manual transmission shifted smoothly, but not effortlessly.

The engine was strong and passing other cars wasn't hard, acceleration was reasonable.

I got close to 27 miles per gallon, but every long trip was a gamble with no working gas gauge and odometer!

Front disk brakes and rear drums had plenty of stopping power.

A ball joint failed at 70 MPH on the highway, and German engineering might have saved my life. The rotor didn't separate from the rest of the car and I was able to skid to safety. Later, I found that the same thing had happened to the other side of the car before I bought it. It was a good daily driver even after all of that trauma.

I'm after the 4x4 Quantum wagon.

Review Date: 16th July, 2002

8th Jul 2006, 22:39

I own a 1984 Quantum and it is AWESOME!!! Good power, great mpg and really comfy. Paid $1000 bucks for it and wouldn't replace it with a car that costs 5 times as much.

9th Mar 2010, 10:23

I have an opportunity to buy a 1984 Quantum for 600. Should I make this purchase?

1986 Volkswagen Quantum SW GL 2.2L 5cil. from North America

Summary:

Nice piece, will go for a Passat next

Replaced left front side CV joint, brake rotors and pads.

General Comments:

I like this car. It is my second Quantum.

First one's engine got broken, and I didn't bother to fix it, since I bought another one for $750, which is less then I would spend on an engine replacement.

It's the most underestimated car in the USA. Maybe it cost a lot when it was new, but now 10-15 years later you can buy it cheap, gives you a lot of car for less bucks.

When I bought it, it had no power options, so I installed power windows, central lock, power sunroof myself.

No complaints so far....

Review Date: 18th July, 2000

2nd Nov 2009, 19:00

Where would I get a catalog to buy those parts for power windows and sunroof?

1983 Volkswagen Quantum GL Wagon 1.7L I-4 from North America

The stock alternator was weak and broke. It was replaced with a new one, and it is fine now.

The CV joints broke and were replaced; and now at 70,000, they are on the verge of breaking again.

The valve cover seal was worn out and the car leaked oil.

A few hoses from the cooling system were replaced recently.

General Comments:

The Quantum (called Passat in Europe) is an excellent car. The styling is still fresh today. The car has survived many family trips up and down the west coast. The wagon is underpowered but handles better than most other cars I've driven. The gauges are great, and the seats are very supportive. I greatly enjoy driving this wagon. I will be sad to see it go.

Review Date: 27th July, 1999