2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L Automatic
Previous carSAAB 900

Summary:

Stylish, practical, fast, solidly German feeling car for not much money

Very little has gone wrong, as should be expected for a new car!

A few electrical gremlins that the dealer has not been super responsive about fixing, but nothing truly annoying.

General Comments:

I have piled up the miles on this car in two years, and have largely thought that I got the best value for a new car that I could have gotten...

It is definitely very quick in a straight line, and using the sport mode on the auto transmission gives it a whole different character; in normal drive mode, the engine can feel a bit tractor like as it lugs along in high gear... get the revs up in sport mode, however, and it feels taut and powerful.

Handling is good if you don't push it too hard; it is, after all, NOT a GTI. I did discover, however, that by pushing the button that disables the automatic stability control, the car gets way less loose and squishy feeling... turning off the stability control and using the sport mode on the transmission is a must for mountainous twisty roads.

The car is gorgeous inside for an economy car. The seats are firm, the controls no nonsense and beautiful, and all have a quality feeling. These cars were made in Wolfsburg Germany, and they ooze quality. The seats are not cushy by any means, but they leave my back feeling great for short trips or long.

Gas mileage is so so for a small car. 29 on long trips, but only 20 or so around town.

Overall I do love my Rabbit. I do miss my 1990 Saab 900 Turbo, however, which despite having 130,000 miles when I bought it, still handled ever-so-much-more sportily than this car. But the SAAB was a performance car; I think of my Rabbit as a VERY well appointed and thought out, stylish and reliable car for every person, which is what it is.

Review Date: 14th September, 2010

14th Sep 2010, 14:56

Something seems off about this review.

1) It is a 2006.

2) It was bought by the reviewer in 2008.

3) It only 1000 miles on it in the 1st 2 years of ownership.

4) It is being called a new car.

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit from North America

Previous carMazda Protege

Summary:

Superb, so far..

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

I know it's early, since I've only owned the car for 3 months and there are only 10,000+ miles, but some might find this helpful:

I test drove the Mazda 3 and 6, the Honda Civic and Accord, as well as the Nissan Altima. I fell in love with this from the moment I sat in it.

It is so plush for what is essentially an economy car. It has, by far, the sharpest interior of any car in its class or (I dare say) any class of car for that matter. In my opinion, the 4-door is nicer looking than the 2-door.

It is surprisingly quiet, but for this minor baby squeak that comes and goes from somewhere in my dash. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

It has lovely pickup from a stop, with 150 horses. At higher gears/speeds, it's not quite as peppy, but is fine nonetheless.

Handling is brilliant, better than the vaunted Mazda 3 believe it or not.

The only occasion I have had to use that overrated and largely useless auto-stick feature is when I'm in city traffic and want to take it easy on the transmission.

It's also surprisingly roomy. 4 adults sit without a hint of constraint. The hatch, with the fold down front seat, is so big that I actually was able to move my entire household (with the exception of my bed and couch) in merely 4 or 5 trips!

In summary, I love this thing and I hope that my VW quality fears aren't realized.

Review Date: 8th March, 2008