1998 Volkswagen Sharan Comfort 1.9 TDII from UK and Ireland
Superbly fit-for-purpose vehicle, whose enjoyment has lowered by a few irritating parts failures
Diesel turbo, air mass flow meter failed and has been renewed twice.
Electric window control in driver's door - failed twice.
ABS on one wheel once.
Needed new CV joints on front suspension courtesy of the heavy engine and too many potholes in the Guildford roads.
Foamy water in front passenger foot-well - rear wash wipe feeder pipe parted at push-fit joint behind trim. Fixed it myself, took 30 minutes, after being quoted "about 3150 by my local franchised dealer".
This car has been ideal for our family purpose. It has however been spoilt by irritating minor faults and the high prices the franchised dealers charge for maintenance - needless to say we go to our local garage - friendly, personable service and 30% lower prices.
One other comment on that point - we bought our Sharan as a personal import from Luxembourg. UK spec, right-hand drive, factory order - i.e. the same car that a UK dealer would have ordered. Quoted price from UK dealer (Dec 1997) £22,800; actual on-the-road price, including tax, insurance, plates, radio, fuel and the long weekend trip-flight over, le shuttle back - for my wife and I, £19588 or -15%. The paperwork was easy - 2 faxes, 3 phone calls to the garage, registration form to DVLCC, cheque to Customs for VAT; as you have found this site, you can fill these forms out.
I will buy abroad again unless UK dealer prices get closer to those in Europe.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 12th March, 2003
I have the same problem with the rear wash separating. However I do not know how to fix it...
The article is great, but where is this join?
I have a 2000 Sharan S 110bhp diesel. My experience with the vehicle has been somewhat turbulent. All the following happened thankfully while the car was in warranty.
1. Noise from gearbox on idle - loose flywheel, flywheel and clutch replaced.
2. Noise from power steering pump - replaced
3. Rear washer leak in passenger foot well - Traced and fixed by me. Only needed to undo sill cover, pull back carpet and its there.
4. Intermittent slight mis from engine - ECU replaced after a number of visits to dealer, initially nothing shown on diagnostic equipment.
5. Major water leak in front passenger foot well (not from rear washer pipe) but from engine bay/wheel arch - body re-sealed.
6. Vehicle has been very heavy on tyres, wearing inner edges on rear wheels. Problem still remains even after 4 wheel alignment.
7. Air flow meter seems to have given up working, lack of acceleration. I have not priced up new one, but I believe they are expensive - I was told by a mechanic to disconnect the meter and the system will go to a default setting, drives much better.