2003 Volkswagen Touran SE 1.9td from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I would buy another Touran without a moments hesitation, but next time with a DSG box

I own a 1.9SE TDi and can only fault it for 2 things, those being rapid front tyre wear and smoke from the auxiliary heater. The car was returned to the dealer within 5 days of purchase after it started smoking and was told to just let it develop. I have taken it back several times since (to another dealer) who have carried out all the modifications available, but I still have the problem. If the problem still exists when the warranty expires I wonder what VW's position will be as the problem has never been cured from when the car was new.

As for the tyres wearing badly on the inside and now down to the legal limit at 13000 miles I am surprised at this.

Review Date: 26th March, 2006

2003 Volkswagen Touran 1.6FSI from Turkey

Summary:

Could have been better

Opening switch on the trunk was replaced at 25,000km.

Driver's side power window's lift mechanism broke because of a lousy plastic piece at 36,000km. Just three weeks after the warranty ran out. Service wanted to charge me 150EUR for replacing the whole mechanism, I fixed it myself with a used plastic piece from a Golf window, total cost 5EUR!

LCD screen of the stereo does not come on until you push a button. Very strange this one, after you turn it off you have to wait 3-4 minutes for this problem to appear again. You try it in less than 2 minutes there is no problem!!

Plastic covering on the headlights switch came off, replaced under warranty.

Driver's and front passenger's interior big plastic arm rest's rubber covering came off, replaced under warranty.

Shifter knob's top cover came off.

Seriously underpowered.

General Comments:

Overall the quality of the interior plastics on this car is not good, actually it is barely medium. I am afraid the mechanics are of the same quality, but I have to wait and see, it is too early to decide on that.

1.6FSI engine (115HP) does not give enough power for this car. Do not try overtaking unless you shift down a few gears! I recommend 2.0TDI or 2.0FSI engine.

Great for family trips, lots of head and knee room in the backseats.

What to do with all the storage space!!

Review Date: 27th February, 2006

2003 Volkswagen Touran Mid range equip 1.6 FSI from Norway

Summary:

Super family car for those who might need to take a pram and baggage at the same time

Rear right passenger door somewhat hard to lock.

Original fan replaced under warranty; almost all 2003 Tourans should have had this engineering error fixed under warranty.

Front over-head storage compartment: Minor plastic error. Resulted in one compartment hard to open. Replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

I drive this car daily in Norway (that is, a lot of hills/mountains and cold climate wintertime).

This car has a very low fuel consumption on long drives, flat land, but if you live in a similar geography, go for one of the diesels instead of the 1.6 FSI; it does the job, but running costs would be lower with the diesels.

We load the car quite 'heavily': 2-3 kids daily, and very much baggage when traveling. Despite this, the finish is fine.

One of our kids decided to decorate the car using a stone: He managed to scratch of the paint, but not the rust protection layer. He has tried the same on our Skoda Felica (2000), and there he got off all paint. Indicates good rust protection work.

Over the years, we can in certain lights see a slight color difference in body paint depending if it is paint on metal, or, paint on plastics. Not an issue in practice.

Review Date: 13th May, 2005

21st Feb 2007, 02:16

I wrote the original review a few years ago, and now (Feb 2007) we still own the same Touran. At about 55000km, there has been no problems at all with the car. Service is a bit more expensive than for the Skoda we own.

Some reviewers had problems with tyres; we have not yet had to shift neither winter, nor summer tyres.

Some more driving experience: The car is great on snow and ice. Kids, now at 5 and 4, still loves the car. My wife wants to replace our second car with another Touran.

If the experienced quality goes on, I believe the second hand value of this car will be very good. But what is the right strategy for selling a used Touran? Any ideas?

19th Jul 2007, 15:36

Why let him scratch both of your cars? Unbelievable.

24th May 2008, 17:09

My daughter did this as at 3; she was learning to write her name and wrote it on the car with a tree stick she picked up whilst I was getting the baby out of the car unaware. I was surprised at how easy it was with a stick! As there is now Amy on the side!