1995 Volkswagen Vento Review

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.9 diesel Manual
Previous carLand Rover County

Summary:

Excellent car

Starter motor earth strap, bad design, causing failure.

General Comments:

All round good motor, slight paintwork defects in the boot area caused by a bad manufacturing process which VW refuses to acknowledge.

VW dealers are very helpful, the national organisation VAG(UK) are appallingly arrogant.

Review Date: 15th September, 2000

23rd Jan 2001, 14:34

I bought my VW Vento 2.0GLI in Spain with 120,000 KM on the clock - it is currently 7 years old and has gone through the ITV (MOT in Spain) without problem.

It is the first time that I have owned a car with automatic transmission and air conditioning and it is a superb car - economical and boring - I knew it would be boring but I love the legendary reliability and its solid construction which are all I look for.

The paintwork is excellent even in Spain - of course there is no rust - and in the event of a collision I would expect to be intact - which is more than can be said for the likes of the mainstream cars which are designed to look good, last no more than five years and be cheap on spares. VW are not cheap on spares but you only get what you pay for.

12th Nov 2002, 10:43

This car is absolutely superb. I've had some small electrical problems with the windows and dashboard, but its done 120,000 miles with no major faults!

This car is not boring your just not driving it quick enough. Once you open up the throttle the car comes alive and handles really well. Its better balanced than the golf and a whole lot cheaper.

11th Jan 2003, 16:15

I've just bought today a VW Vento 2.0GL (1996) to replace my current Vento 1.8CL (1995) which has given me great service for the last two years. They're not cheap, at least a good one isn't, but they're tons less than a Golf! I find it difficult to fault the car - some say boring, but I say infinitely reliable with low costs. What the heck more do you want from a continually depreciating asset? Let's hope this one'll do the duty of the last one. And that BOOT! I'm the one that does the supermarket - and it all goes in on the ground floor... no double-stacking! Yummee! can't wait to get back in it!

17th Mar 2007, 11:25

Posted on March 15 2007

VW VENTO 1998 RUST REPORT Model 1HO, AHU motor

Pearl Blue.

This vehicle is undergoing a complete overhaul.

The base protection coat of this vehicle has failed allowing rusting to occur to a MUCH greater extent than 1990 models. We believe that the new paints used at this time were porous.

The primer is water based. The underbody spot welded seams are prominent allowing rust formation. This corrosion is on the outer surfaces.

Th cavities are OK. The fault lies with the priming coats.

We cannot see this model lasting longer than 14 years of average use in the UK climate.

Average review marks: 9.0 / 10, based on 1 review