1976 Volvo 242 Review

First year of ownership1985
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.0 Litre Inline-6 petrol Manual
Previous carDacia 1300

Summary:

A masterpiece that will never be forgotten

I had to replace the electric overdrive once because it shorted out.

Nothing else, though.

General Comments:

I absolutely love this car. It's a tank. I bought it because I wanted a reliable car that I could take out to my mountain house - quite the tough road to get up to it.

My cello player friend had one, and she said she loved it. I had been admiring it for a while, and asked her if I could drive it one day. After that, I was hooked. I would never get rid of it.

It handles beautifully and the 4-speed manual with the electronic overdrive is just as fun and pleasant to drive on the mountain as it is on the highway.

Review Date: 11th June, 2002

25th Apr 2006, 12:16

My husband bought our 1976 Volvo 242DL 2 door new. It is a love of a car, will go where a lot of vehicles won't. We drove it in the pasture, on icy roads, up muddy, or icy steep hills and it had the traction and gear ratio to succeed. The body is made to last forever. The interior is comfortable with quality upholstery that wears and wears. Ours does not have leather.

21st May 2006, 00:31

It sounds great. Would you be able to post a photo of the two door? I have not seen them around, most common are the 4 door and the wagon version. Perhaps it is not possible at this site to post photos. If so, could you refer me to a site where one could be found please. Thanks.

23rd Jun 2006, 23:22

I have a 1976 Volvo 242 DL 2 door, it is my every day driver and I wouldn't trade it for a newer one. It's just too nice, there just so many things I could name about the car that it would fill the page, so I'm just going to leave it at, it's a nice, old, reliable, gas saving car...

23rd Mar 2010, 22:59

I noticed you said it had an inline 6...this would mean it's a 262 not a 242...

Average review marks: 8.8 / 10, based on 1 review