1989 Volvo 245 Reviews

1989 Volvo 245 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Previous carVolvo 940

Summary:

Reliable car with character!

This has been a great car, I've only owned it for a month and I love it.

I'm 23 years old, I get a lot of crap because it's an "old lady car". I really couldn't care less, all of my friends are making 300 dollar car payments a month and my rig's already paid for.

She needed a transmission line re-tightened. Other than that, just general maintenance that I do myself.

This car is very easy to work on if you take your time and get a manual.

General Comments:

A comfortable car! Plenty of room for you and your gear - a Swedish tank.

I had a VW for a while, and when that exploded I needed a car for the short term. This car has turned into a keeper.

Classic styling, decent gas mileage. Make sure you keep up with the maintenance and the car will take care of you!

I love this Volvo, I just got her all tuned up finally and she's running great.

I highly recommend this car to anyone!

Review Date: 3rd August, 2010

1989 Volvo 245 DL 2.3L from North America

Model year1989
First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 2.3L Manual
Previous carTriumph Spitfire

Summary:

This car is a keeper -- really!

Original timing belt broke at 189,000 miles.

Driver's seat and dash have split (typical).

Showing some bits of rust now.

Had to replace trail arm bushings.

General Comments:

I bought my 1989 245 in 1996 with 87K miles for $7K. Last week she turned over 217K. That's 130,000 miles over 10 years, and it has NEVER failed to start. Even with my sporadic maintenance, hard driving, and almost never cleaning it, I have always been impressed with how she holds up under just about any condition.

Only car in the neighborhood to start when it was -26 degrees; carries more than my Mom's Explorer; runs up the snowy hills with ease (passed a slipping jeep one time); slept in the back to save $ on road trips; etc.

Style is subjective. Aesthetics are personal. The 240 series Volvo has held very strongly in both by millions around the world for years and years. I will continue to drive the old wagon until she fails. I just don't think she ever will.

Review Date: 27th December, 2005

1989 Volvo 245 GL 2.0 injection from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1989
Most recent year of ownership1989
Engine and transmission 2.0 injection Manual
Previous carLancia Beta

Summary:

Amazing bargain, it will last 1 million miles

All suspension rubber bushes and dampers replaced to improve handling at 120000 miles. Munroe dampers took a few miles to settle in, now feels much better on fast roads.

100% reliable accept for backing into a soft earth bank and stuffing the exhaust full of mud. Call out engineer gave up, and my wife solved the problem.

Brake pads, tyres changed at about at 30k. Front discs changed at 60k.

Oil and filter always changed at 6 months. Always cleaned oil breathers and have changed oil separator. Back pressure will blow out oil seals.

General Comments:

The exterior is original and paint is still exceptional.

Many comments about the metallic silver finish.

Only use a water hose feed brush for car/truck cleaning, never a car wash or a sponge.

Watch the Autoglym car care video for ideas.

Modified oil to 0/30 synthetic and double filtration down to 1 micron. Then sample for laboratory analysis to advise change of oil.

Converted to liquified petrolium gas (LPG) which is clean for atmosphere and engine. On current UK LPG gas price of 35.9p per litre this works out to 39 miles per gallon UK when compared to petrol cost (76 per litre lead replacement petrol) at 27 miles per gallon.

Review Date: 9th January, 2002