1994 Volvo 440 Reviews

1994 Volvo 440 GLT 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Model year1994
Distance when acquired20349 miles

Summary:

Lovely

The timing belt went.

The radio was stolen.

General Comments:

Some car always went, never stopped. I still have it, and I can say it will go to the grave with me.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2009

1994 Volvo 440 GLT 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Model year1994
Engine and transmission 2.0i Manual
Distance when acquired102000 miles
Previous carSeat Ibiza

Summary:

Fast, safe and durable... and yes it's a Volvo

The radiator keeps being a little bit leaky.

The engine has a oil leak from somewhere, not bad though.

The gears don't like going in sometimes.

The cassette player has stolen a tape.

General Comments:

The 440 GLT 2.0i is the second car I have ever owned. I have to say it is one of the most luxurious, well built, comfiest cars I have driven.

The car goes when you put your foot down, you can feel the road, yes it's a bit square and at high speeds you can feel the back wanting to fish tail, the fact is it will get to there with ease.

The build quality is second to none. It's thirteen years old now, and has been owned by 5 people including myself. Nothing has fallen off, all the electrics still work.

The look is one that you won't have now, and I can't think of a car its size on the market currently, that I would want to own.

An overall comfy, fast fairly economical spacious car with enough room for 5 adults. The boot is huge. I hope it goes for another 100,000 miles, I think it's the best thing I've ever bought.

Review Date: 14th July, 2006

1994 Volvo 440 GLT 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0i Don't Know
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Great acceleration for a Volvo!

Nothing yet,

General Comments:

It seems to go great guns, except when you get up to high speeds, where it seems to wobble a lot more than my Golf did! Is that normal does anyone know? But great acceleration!

Review Date: 10th July, 2006

1994 Volvo 440 Xi 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol Manual
Previous carNissan Sunny

Summary:

I like it, but realistically it's not the best car I could hope for

Electrics are very dubious; lately the central locking keeps shorting out.

Dash illumination never worked.

Exhaust has detached twice.

Pulls very much to the left.

Dash trim very cheap - squeaky and noisy.

Seems to be leaking petrol, though I can't find evidence apart from the smell and high fuel consumption.

Heated driver's seat does not work.

Vacuum hoses in engine needed replacing.

Driver's seat will not adjust.

Hazard warning lights do not work.

General Comments:

I bought this car "dirt-cheap" from a dealer who kept it in his back garden with his pet donkey (!) so I knew not to expect too much. My initial plan was to keep it for a year, then get another car. However, I've been having more and more problems with it lately. The exhaust keeps on detaching, and the internal and dash lights just don't work - fuses and new bulbs regardless. Over the last few days the central locking keeps blowing its fuse, which also affects the clock and radio. I've also noticed a strong smell of petrol when driving or shortly after stopping and drastically decreased fuel efficiency. I have to take a day off work this week to try to get it sorted out. On the other hand it's comfortable and hasn't yet failed to start, although it is labouring more in the mornings in the last fortnight. I get the feeling that it may be on its last legs, in spite of a healthy engine.

Review Date: 11th October, 2004

12th Oct 2004, 08:20

Sounds like the Lamda sensor has gone - either that or the cat's fallen apart and needs replacing - possibly a section of exhaust as well...

19th Dec 2004, 20:37

I also have a 1994 volvo 440, but it has been a very good car, done 160,000miles, so quite a few things had to be replaced, but apart from that its reliable and a real nice car.

Sounds like the previous owner to yours neglected it real bad which is sad to see.

1994 Volvo 440 1.8i from Bulgaria

Engine and transmission 1.8i Manual
Distance when acquired122000 kilometres
Most recent distance200000 kilometres
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

440: Shame for Volvo and Renault

Clutch disk twice for 60000 km.

New transmission.

Engine problems.

Dash board shaking and creaking on every occasion.

Seats are very poor quality, they wear out too fast.

Left mirror mechanism broke.

Exhaust changed.

Horn broke.

Rust in a few places.

General Comments:

I purchased it second hand from Holland. It was produced originally with Vialle LPG system. I don't know if this is the reason (car has been driven on LPG all its life) but the steering wheel was vibrating and shaking too much on low revs (900).

The car is very bad mixture between Volvo and Renault 19 (engine and some other parts). I can say that all the bad things with this car are because of its Renault engine, which is very unreliable and problematic.

The interior was very poor and real shame for me - weared out too fast. Very weak paint and rust in few places. Dash board shaking and noisy plus falls apart, very bad material.

I had to change the whole transmission - very expensive repair. Something very annoying for this car and other Renault mades - the clutch pedal is very hard to push, so after couple of hours driving in city my knees start aching. Esepcially hard to push for my wife.

The luggage compartment of this car is too small, buy the 460 if you had to buy Volvo (I do not recommend).

I purchased this car because I heard that Volvos are ugly, but reliable. However this car is very bad and cheap built, and has nothing in common with the Volvo's from the past.

This car has few good things: very strong and reliable suspension - I drove it 70,000 km without any repairs (only the 2 stability rods must be changed every 20,000 km - cheap and easy), very good and comfortable drive, performs like a big car on the road, the parts are not too expensive because they are Renault, the car is well insulated for noise and no noise is heard inside while driving.

I do not recommend buying Volvo 440/460. This car is not reliable and is expensive to maintain. Don't deal with the official dealers (now Ford :( ) because it is not worth spending much money on such car.

Anyway, I must admit, that though this car has gave me a lot of hard timea, it never left me on the road during 3 years and 75,000 km.

Review Date: 10th April, 2004

23rd Apr 2004, 11:40

I think your comments are completely wrong. Volvos are never bad cars. I have a 1992 440 1.8i and it is a good and reliable car. It has now 173.000 kilometers and it's now obviously old, but all the problems you seem to have with your car must be due to the fact it's a second hand one, and you don't know the use it's previous owner has given it. So your case must be simply bad luck.