1997 Volvo 850 base 2.4L 1-5 DOHC from North America

Summary:

PERFECT

A lot, but there just wear and tear yo.

General Comments:

I love this car. you couldnt go wrong about buying one, built to last, safe, comfortable. and its just a great all around car yo.

Review Date: 6th October, 2007

1997 Volvo 850 GLT 2.4 turbo from North America

Summary:

Good when working, a nuisance when in need of repair

Undetermined oil leak.

A/C leak.

Needs new tires frequently.

Heated seats no longer heat.

Transmission will not allow shifting from Park for first 10 seconds after start-up.

Minor electrical problems with radio.

General Comments:

Despite the many problems that I have had with my Volvo it is still a good car. A used 850 is affordable and the insurance is fair. The engine is strong enough for most people and the car seats 5 comfortably. My advice would be to have a dealer inspect the car before buying a used 850 to ensure that there are no faults with major components.

Review Date: 17th July, 2007

20th Jul 2007, 01:07

I agree, a great solid car, mileage 23 - 25 hwy, quick enough acceleration, but repairs are frequent.

Electrical problems and transmission issues (electrical switches that seem to need replacing every 10k miles.)

Stupid mechanical glitches, trunk latch broke (on its own).

Check engine light goes on so frequently for petty annoying reasons that I had it disconnected, and after that, the car ran great!

1997 and prior Volvos are still non-Fords, and likely to run well over 200k without major overhauls. I owned the 97 850 GLT for 7 years / 140k and still regret trading it, because it seriously never left me stranded. And you probably won't find a safer car on the road. Spend $5k for this car used, be prepared to service it and don't defer any maintenance, and it will reward you back.

12th Dec 2007, 15:37

If you can't shift out of Park, it's probably what I think is called the PNP switch? It's a common fault on the 850.

1997 Volvo 850 T-5 Wagon 2.3 turbo from North America

Summary:

Great Car -- Fast, Comfortable,

Failed Thermostat @ purchase.

Leaky A/C Condenser @ purchase.

Miscellaneous blown dash lights @ purchase.

Tailgate inside panel loose.

Worn tailgate struts cause gate to not stay up when opened.

General Comments:

A surprisingly fast, great-handling and comfortable car.

We bought the car used with 52000 miles in 2006 and discovered a few little problems (above), the most serious of which was the leak in the A/C Condenser -- a common problem on these cars. (Cost to fix: $1000)

We bought this as a car for our kids to use when they reach driving age. The incredible power of this car has us concerned, especially when our sons reach driving age. Gas mileage is okay, but not great -- about 20-23 mpg.

We've heard horror stories about later model Volvos and those with 4-wheel drive. Other than the problems noted, it's been very reliable thus far.

Review Date: 26th January, 2007

1997 Volvo 850 5 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Too many major repairs

ABS brain.

Both front struts.

Both rear seat-belts.

Brakes and rotors.

Starter.

New tires every 25k. This is very annoying. High end or low end tires, this car just chews through them.

General Comments:

Very comfortable to dive for long trips. The feel of the car is quite tank-like.

I have found a wonderful local Volvo only shop that treats me well, but the service this car needs is still frequent and expensive. My advice is to pass on a Volvo. This 850 will be my last Volvo.

Review Date: 14th July, 2006

31st Jul 2007, 14:56

I understand frequent repairs can be really annoying, like I'm experiencing with my current old Chrysler. However, the engine and transmission in the 850 are as solid as solid gets in any vehicle. Considering these are the most costly aspects of a car to have replaced, I think the 850 is an excellent car. Most of the faults seem to be electrical related. Brake replacement is not a fault of a car, but a maintenance issue. The 850 is luxurious, well built, and lasts a LONG time with proper maintenance and care. I've heard and read nightmarish stories with other cars needing new transmissions or engines by 100k miles. It's really common actually with most cars. Not the case with the 850. Maybe you should count your blessings with the 850. Chrysler Lebaron has 68k miles and has had much more serious issues. It's left me stranded twice. I don't even need to mention the Volvo is far safer of a car. An aquaintance of mine had a '97 Buick Park Avenue that needed a new $4k engine installed at 40k miles because of a common design flaw. The 850 is much better than the norm.

24th Aug 2007, 23:24

The 1997 Volvo 850 was the most refined one of em all. I have a 1997 base model with 171,892 on the odometer, it's still running like new, the transmission shifts smooth, and the motor will still power along the hills of the Berkshires quite nicely.

The gas mileage of the non turbos is quite good, about 28 around a small town, and on a trip about 32. Maintenance is not a problem at all, just keep up with it. They are definitely some of the most comfortable cars on the road still.

I love my car and would definitely buy another. Find another car for 3200 that could see 300k on the original power train, you will be hard-pressed at best.

Volvo's are some of the best (in my opinion the best) cars out there. Reliable economical, quick, comfortable and safe. It's a keeper.

29th Aug 2007, 14:57

I would like to know what was wrong with the rear seat belts? That doesn't seem to be a common problem according to my Volvo mechanic. Did they fail completely? Thank you.

14th Oct 2009, 17:38

Why all the complaints? These cars are outstanding. All machines break down ultimately, just keep up with the maintenance.. These things will go on forever. Full stop!

17th Oct 2009, 21:04

Bought my 3 years ago with 175000 miles. Now has got 300000 and neither the engine nor trans burns/uses oil. Runs great.