1997 Volvo 960 Sedan 2.9L 6 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

The last true Volvo

I have only owned this 960 for a short period of time, but in that, I have had to replace a few exterior light bulbs, a flat tire, and a few trim pieces. Beyond that, the car has a very, very slow oil leak (common on the 2.9L 6-cylinder units) and can get lagged when the air-con system is at its highest setting (which is an understandable issue with any car)

General Comments:

I absolutely love this car. I am, and always will be, a huge fan of the rear-wheel drive, blocky Volvo's (ie. the 700 and 900 series)

This car lives up to every expectation one might put to it, and even surpasses some. The 960 is not the type of car to throw into corners at high speed, nor is it good to dart through traffic in, however given its small turning radius, good road feel, and well modulated brake and accelerator pedals, the car is easy to drive around town, and an absolute pleasure on the highway.

I have read some bad reviews on post 1990 Volvo products, and in the end it all comes down to the condition of the vehicle at the time of purchase. Volvo's, like any other kind of European car tend to be finicky when they are left unmaintained, and driven hard. However, if you take good care of these boxes by cleaning them regularly, and ensuring that all the fluids are topped up and in good shape, and you'll be driving for many many kilometers.

Luckily I purchased this 960 from my independent Volvo mechanic, and the last (and only previous) owner of the car took great care of it.

So far I have been averaging a fuel consumption rate of under 10 Litres/100KM or roughly 24 to 25 Miles per gallon (on a mixed commute)

I would recommend Volvo's to anyone. As a teenager, we are often the ones known for planting Civics into oak trees, but for me safety is key above go fast performance, and you can't get any safer than the last generation Volvo 900 Series.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2006

19th Oct 2006, 08:52

I am the original author of this review, and I felt it was time to update my experience with this Volvo. I have had the car exactly 5 months to this day, and very little has gone wrong with it, aside from a drivers side signal light bulb that melted itself into the bulb housing.

So far I have put on about 10,000KM, replaced the oil once, changed 3 light bulbs, and that's all. Its been extremely reliable, and noticeably excellent on long trips over 5 hours.

So far, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's also been interesting finding little notes left on my windshield from people wishing to make an offer on my car. I would recommend the last generation 960 to anyone looking for an excellent long lasting old school European luxury sedan.

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 2.9 inline 6 from North America

Summary:

Solid car, amazing flexibility, classic stodgy style, how long am I going to own this thing?

AC Compressor and Condenser.

Sun Roof Leak.

Dash Lights Flicker.

Radiator Replacement.

Seats are wearing - not in garage.

Brakes wear quick and do not inspire confidence.

Dealership has difficulty fixing many things. Find I have to live with a bunch of issues. I bought service manuals and am fixing them, myself, now.

General Comments:

Picked it up at the factory in Göteborg. Great experience.

Car is solid. Just keeps going and going. Great capacity and flexibility. Can put a twin mattress and box springs in the back and close the tailgate. People in, people out, things in/out, seats up/down. Amazing Swedish engineering and flexibility, all in a matter of minutes. I can't find a car on the market that can do all of this today.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2006