2002 Volvo S40 1.9 turbo from North America

Summary:

I had hoped that my Volvo experience would have lasted a lot longer than a couple of years

Headliner coming unglued.

The car will not start.

General Comments:

The paint and finish is very good. I get a lot of looks and comments when it is cleaned and waxed.

The car gets better than expected gas mileage.

So far this car is very reliable, and has been used to "save" my neighbors on several occasions, meaning I have come to their rescue because I have one of the most reliable vehicles any of them have ever seen.

This car was amazingly reliable up until yesterday, when a popping noise was heard and now it will not turn over at all. I have checked the battery, and it now will not take a charge. I inspected the engine bay, and found the battery insulator cover has been charred and the positive post has evidence that it flared up. The insulator could have saved my car from a car fire! Right now we are trying to figure how everyone will get to work in the morning.

Review Date: 9th October, 2011

2002 Volvo S40 1.9 turbo from North America

Summary:

Excellent if you are lucky

- Fan blower, twice.

- Driver side window motor.

- Air conditioner has a mind of its own. Works when feels like it.

- Headlight bulbs numerous times.

- Taillight bulbs several times.

- Rust around the sun roof.

- Brake pads & discs, more than normal in other cars.

- "O" ring on the turbo oil return line.

- Spark plug coils,

General Comments:

- Down side:

- Parts are very expensive and I am always waiting for the "next" thing. Fortunately, I do all the repairs myself

-Up side.

It handles excellent, comfortable and great sound system for long trip at work.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2008

Good

General Comments:

Yes, the headlamps and bulbs do seem to expire sooner than other cars I have owned.

The transmission fluid was replaced at 38K.

30K on the first set of pads, 53K on the second set (aftermarket).

A/C Heater Climate Controls are not working as well, but they do work.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

2002 Volvo S40 1.9T from North America

Summary:

Reliability, comfort, performance, safety, and a good looking ride in one package

Nothing has ever gone wrong with this car. Runs perfectly like new.

General Comments:

Very comfortable seats. Great handling.

With the turbo on a small displacent engine, my mileage varies significantly. I can get 37mpg on the highway at steady 70mph or only 20mpg tearing around town.

Paint easily scratched, but the car still looks great after over five tears.

Didn't like the original Michelin tires and went to Bridgestone Turanzas. The car performs so much better now in ice and snow now. Dry traction is better than the original Michelin tires as well.

Review Date: 18th April, 2007

2002 Volvo S40 1.9T from North America

Summary:

Compact, safe, rock-solid reliable, luxury sedan

No problems with this car.

General Comments:

This is very enjoyable car to drive. Good power and tight handling. Ride is very smooth for a smaller car and the seats provide the legendary Volvo comfort.

Originally bought this car because of good experiences with our other Volvo in regard to reliability and safety. This car is a keeper for us because it is dependable, safe, and very fun to drive.

Review Date: 13th November, 2004

2002 Volvo S40 1.9 turbo from North America

Summary:

Great car in all weather minor problems

Replaced rear brakes at 20000 miles and was told this is normal. The check engine light is on for no reason. Replaced 6 headlight bulbs. Paint is very thin.

General Comments:

I too was very disappointed on the service of the car. I can't understand how the rear brakes can go way before the front ones? The original tires always had slow leaks and one developed the bubble others were saying.

Review Date: 7th February, 2004

2002 Volvo S40 1.9 turbo from North America

Bushings for the struts replaced due to "creaking" noise during acceleration or braking at 27,000 miles.

Uneven brake wear noticed at 30,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is decent in terms of brisk acceleration. I noticed a creaking coming from the front suspension around 25k miles, but it wasn't too noticeable until around 27k. This was replaced under warranty.

I also noticed a "downshifting" feeling after releasing the accelerator. Obviously, the acceleration stops, but 1-3 seconds later as you're cruising, you feel the car lurch forward as if it suddenly downshifted or braked a bit. Explained this to the dealer, but they say everything is "within specifications" so I won't dwell on this, but it makes for a "jerky" ride.

A bit past 30k miles, I noticed a grinding. I find that the rear-left brake pad is down to pretty much 0% whereas the rear-right is still around 30-40% remaining! The front two brake pads are around 30-40% as well. You obviously can't expect the brake pads to wear perfectly even, but this is definitely a big difference!! especially if it's just ONE pad. This may be attributed to the EBD system that distributes braking power to each brake depending on driving condition. Apparently, the s40's configuration of this system will result in this type of uneven braking. According to the dealer, he said that you'll find your rear brakes wearing out earlier than your front despite the fact that it's a fwd car. As for the big difference in the bads from left and right? it's "normal for this car, we see it all the time", they say (Bozzani Volvo).

So make sure to check your brakes often. Especially the rear. I've had the car taken to be serviced by authorized Volvo mechanics at all the recommended intervals so this is something I didn't really expect to have to keep watch on. Especially if I rarely brake hard.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2003

5th Sep 2006, 01:09

That's an interesting note on the EBD. As for as the not up-shifting even at 3500RPM, that is one of quirks of the ECM. I believe the car has different shifting-behavior profiles due to different driver's driving style. On a cold start, if I initially apply a larger amount of gas, all up-shifting will occur at higher RPMs. However, if I ease into the accelerator on a cold start, it doesn't do this. It's like performance versus handling. Also, I too have noticed that it lurches forward if you are cruising 20-30mph because it downshifts. Again, I think this is part of the ECM programming.

2002 Volvo S40 2.0 from Belgium

Summary:

A very good performance and comfort for it's price.

Nothing.

General Comments:

Very good design.

Good performance.

Lots of options; one can choose between a good number of of different possibilities for the driving gear, accessories and comfort options..

Review Date: 7th September, 2002