1997 Hyundai Tiburon FX 2.0
Tiburon - excellent value for money
I have had no problems with this beautiful car. Everything has and still works like a dream.
I love my Tiburon. It has decent amount of power and handles excellently. I have owned it for 4 years and I intend on keeping it for ever. I always get comments on how sexy the car is.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 23rd April, 2002
Excellent review, in South Africa, Tiburon owners have troublefree motoring, with these cars. The Tibs that come in for servicing at Hyundai has very high mileage, but they run like new.
Well done Hyundai SA.
I have the Tiburon 2.0L FX, and I purchased it with 100k on the clock. 7 years later, with almost 300k on mileage counter, she still performs beautifully; that's with regular service intervals every 15k. I did have a few minor problems with her since I got it, but like any used vehicle, you must expect that. The only mechanical problems I encountered were:
1. The garage I purchased it from changed the radiator, never had cooling problems ever since, even with the long distances I cover regularly.
2. I changed handbrake cables last year after many years of pleasant motoring.
3. I changed the driver window mechanism 2 years ago; a simple installation that took me about an hour. The part itself wasn't expensive.
4. Clutch replaced after 4 years (put in a Valeo kit), very soft clutch.
5. Only mechanical breakdown I had was 6 months ago, I ran a bearing in the gearbox, which broke the crown wheel and mainshaft pinion. Sent it to the transmission guys, they stripped down the gearbox and replaced all parts. Had to put in another clutch, but she drives even smoother now.
What I learnt from this lesson is always use the correct lubricants in both the engine and gearbox. The repair on the gearbox was far cheaper than most cars would cost.
Other than the above, I still enjoy driving her, and it's very cheap to maintain from insurance to parts, and not forgetting very fuel efficient, and you've still got an adequate amount of power with a 2.0L motor.
Yes, and it still looks very good on the road; people can't stop looking at it.