1998 Acura 1.6 EL Reviews - Page 2 of 4

1998 Acura 1.6 EL 1.6 EL SPORT 1.6 Vtec single cam from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 Vtec single cam Manual
Previous carFord Probe

Summary:

It's a good economical car with a little luxury

Car is very noisy on high speed.

Small gas tank (45 liters)

Underpowered car especially under 3000 rpm on first gear and much more disastrous if you put your A/C on.

General Comments:

I am Live in Montreal city, and I do 8.5 liters/100 km in the traffic jam. On the highway I can do 7.0 liters/100 km easily if I drive at 100-115 km/h.

It's a very reliable car. I not put the money on my car except for routine job as brake job, timing belt.

The only thing I was wrong with this car is a rear left shock is failed, I was replaced the shock at each corner at the same time, because my car had 220 000km. In my stupefaction the 3 others shock was perfect.

The vtec is good and I very appreciated when I overtake a car on the road.

My engine run very smoothly and not drink a oil at 230 000 km. The mechanical it's very reliable.

This car is perfect for a little budget, with a little luxury. My recommendation it's a sport version because you obtain a A/C,ABS brake and leather steering for almost the same price at base model.

You can easily obtain a Acura 1.6 EL 1998 for 4000$ in good condition. Buy it, if you research a good luxury economical car with a good gas millage.

Review Date: 12th July, 2008

1998 Acura 1.6 EL Premium 1.6 Gas from North America

Model year1998
Engine and transmission 1.6 Gas Manual
Most recent distance112000 kilometres
Previous carMercedes-Benz SL

Summary:

Would never settle for any other than a 1.6 EL

Aside from high dealership maintenance costs, the car is perfect and absolutely nothing wrong with it. Drives like new.

General Comments:

The car is rather responsive and jump starts with the hint of gas as you touch the pedal. For a 4 cylinder 1.6 Litre vTec engine, it has amazing torque, the speed and buzz you get out of it is satisfying, better bang for the buck when you think of paying $18000 for it, or 10X that money for a sportier car that frequently breaks down!

Good seating, excellent side and rear visibility, braking system very effective, and the gas mileage is unparalleled. I get 450 kilometers to $38.00 of gas at $1.05/L. Always fueled with Husky midgrade with Ethanol blend (best performance and squeezes power out of engine during combustion!).

Good Stuff I must say!

Thanks.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2008

1998 Acura 1.6 EL Premium from North America

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carHonda Pontiac Bonneville

Summary:

Excellent small car, best for city use

Nothing, really. My sister and brother-in-law were the first owners and had no repair issues. I replaced brake pads and battery in 2006 at 115,000 kms. That's it, after 140,000 kms.

General Comments:

Cute little car, fun to drive around town with its five spd stick shift. Dead reliable, though like some other reviewers I notice it takes longer to start when tank is nearly empty.

Two complaints only: 1. The car is noisy at expressway speeds. I replaced the original Yokohama lower profile tires with some Cooper radials and that helped. 2. I drive faster than average and find the 1.6 lacking in oomph. While it cruises easily on the highway, passing moves have to be planned in advance. (Just bought a Caddy CTS-V, should solve that problem.)

I typically use about 7.5-8 litres of gas every 100 kms of mainly highway driving.

Review Date: 9th December, 2007

1998 Acura 1.6 EL from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance122000 kilometres
Previous carFord Bronco II

Summary:

Reliable and fun to drive

Since I bought this car nothing has gone wrong with it. Just regular oil changes. Have been informed that a brake job is pending.

General Comments:

I love this car and would buy another one. Nice power at high RPM. Handles very well in turns.

Review Date: 21st August, 2004

21st Aug 2004, 11:33

I am happy to hear you have had such good luck. My own experience is the opposite: flimsy construction, inferior materials, sloppy handling, slow off the mark, lots of problems all indicate a substandard vehicle. I wish I kept my Cavalier!

1998 Acura 1.6 EL from North America