2002 Acura RSX Reviews - Page 2 of 5

2002 Acura RSX Base 2.0 from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2002

Summary:

SOLID. Feels like a proper entry level luxury sports car

Gas cap comes loose sometimes, triggering the CEL.

Some seat wear.

A few rattles.

General Comments:

2002 Base RSX Automatic

Pros:

Handling is superb.

No body roll when cornering hard.

Automatic transmission – sport mode shifts fast and accurately.

Interior materials top notch.

Good low end torque.

Great styling.

Feels like a proper entry level luxury sports car.

Cons:

Headlights do burn our more frequently than one would expect. Switched back to stock halogen bulbs, and this has seemed to have solved the problem.

Base stereo mediocre at best. Had to install a small subwoofer to fill in the low end.

Automatic transmission could use a 6th gear.

Back seat could use an additional inch or two of head clearance – but not too bad for a two door sport coupe.

Would like to have seen more sophisticated electronics – i.e. dash readout MPG, avg speed, avg MPG etc…

Overall:

The car is SOLID, reviews are great, and the quality and reliability are what one would expect from Honda’s premium brand.

Review Date: 15th February, 2010

16th Feb 2010, 20:40

The automatic transmission in auto mode could use an econo setting - where it shifts more readily into lower gears. Stock setup tends to leave it in lower gears and let it rev - which is a little annoying when commuting through Chicago traffic, not to mention it brings down the fuel economy. So a lot of times I find myself putting it into manual mode and shifting into higher gears to keep the rpm’s (and stress) down. Don’t get me wrong, I love the revy high-strung nature of the motor, just not all the time.

When I want to take it for a real spin, I put it into manual mode and hit the gas. During the daily traffic grind, I want subtle soft shifts and fuel economy. Fun when you want it, and a smooth ride to work when play-time is over - this is what the RSX base model was made for... almost.

2002 Acura RSX Type S 2.0 i-vtec from North America

Model year2002
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0 i-vtec Manual
Most recent distance119000 miles

Summary:

Spectacular

The catalytic converter went out at 116,000.

There has been slight wear in the seats.

General Comments:

This car is very quick considering its rather small engine size. It makes up for its relatively low torque due to the fact that it just keeps revving.

I own 2 Honda Accord V6s, and neither one delivers the liveliness of the mighty little 4 cylinder. There is no greater sound than the scream of the vtec when you hit 5,800rpm.

It handles like a dream, and leaves my passengers in the sides of the sporty wrap around seats. My friend owns a Civic Si with Sparco racing seats that don't offer the same support.

Due to the lightness of the car, I use snow tires in the winter, and when conditions become too rough, I just use my Suburban.

The transmission is slightly rough when it is cold, and shifting from 1st to 2nd is occasionally rough as well.

I have added a aem v2 intake to it, and it delivers an awesome intake note when RPMs rise. I have also added a Borla cat-back exhaust, which sounds much sportier than the stock exhaust and adds power.

My friends are amazed at the things that I can fit in my car due to the fantastic hatchback design.

However, the Bose stereo system is garbage and can barely be heard with the windows open.

Overall, I absolutely love my Acura and would never trade it for an Si or GT-S.

Review Date: 29th September, 2009

2002 Acura RSX Type-S 2.0 gas from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 gas Manual
Previous carHonda Prelude

Summary:

A sexy car

It's been very reliable. I had the SRS light go on, but the dealer fixed it for free.

I replaced the clutch because I burned it out, but it was the stock one and my car is turbocharged, and I had put in a stage 2.

Other than that, only the aftermarket mods had a few problems like a broken turbo oil drain bolt. I replaced the battery too.

Other than that, it's been very reliable.

General Comments:

I got this car Halloween 2006. It came with an aftermarket turbo kit with an intercooler. It really brings the car to life. I am only on about 6.5psi, but get 254whp, which is about 300 from the engine. I can beat V8 Mustangs and 350Zs and other fast cars.

It handles well and is black. I have 19 inch chrome rims, and it's lowered with tint. Everyone says they love it and it gets the girls. Its build quality is great.

The few cons are I wish the seats were like the 05-06 ones with more padding, but they support well though. Also it would be nice if it had Brembo brakes and an LSD like the Japanese one.

The shifter is really good and smooth, with not grinds even when I power shift fast.

It's fairly practical too. I mean it is fast and handles well. It gets decent gas mileage considering its power.

Review Date: 13th September, 2009

15th Sep 2009, 06:44

You race V8 Mustangs and 350Z's from a roll or a dig. I think that your car has a sweet set-up, but the original owner may have beaten the crap out of the car, and you may have to suffer by repairing it.

23rd Jan 2010, 02:50

Well I have had the car a bit over 3 years now and nothing major has gone wrong, just regular wear and tear. The previous owner only had it a few months after he turboed it. It seems solid.