2003 Acura RSX Reviews

2003 Acura RSX Type S 2.0L 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 2.0L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carAcura RSX

Summary:

Mild fun

My car has problems shifting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. It's worse than just popping out.

Example: I'm sitting with the car on and in neutral. I push the clutch in ALL the way and shift into first. My clutch starts to grab and push the car forward, even with the clutch pushed in all the way. This happens for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I've replaced the clutch and nothing changed. The problem is actually fairly random. Sometimes the when it's cold out the problem is worse. Other times it shifts like butter.

I've noticed also that when I down shift to slow down, it can make the problem occur.

General Comments:

Everything is good about this car except for its shifting issues.

Review Date: 19th March, 2010

20th Mar 2010, 21:32

Hmm.. maybe its some kind of electronic module or sensor causing your transmission to act up.. Even though it's not an automatic, this still wouldn't surprise me as all these newer cars have so many computerized controlled systems. Good luck!

BTW I do like the old Integras better. (which the RSX replaced) Having driven both cars, the Integra just seemed sportier (especially the GSR model!) That's just me personally though. I think any Acura, new or old, is a sound investment if properly maintained. Have fun :)

2003 Acura RSX Type S 2.0 from North America

Distance when acquired22000 kilometres
Previous carFord Probe

Summary:

Luxury and performance yet reliable and affordable to maintain

- Hatch supports stopped working by 26,000 km.

- lost use of both turn signals at 33,000 - fixed a sensor.

General Comments:

A great performer given the size of the engine and it's great fuel economy.

Great handling although the ride can be a little rough with performance tires (no fault of Acura).

A surprisingly huge cargo area when the seats are folded down. A full size dresser can easily fit in the back with the hatch closed.

Heated leather seats are great, but multiple settings would be nice.

Shifts smooth and effortlessly.

There is a bizarre cult following among younger RSX drivers.

Review Date: 24th October, 2007

1st Nov 2009, 22:46

Original poster here. 125,000 km. on the car now. Still have original front brake rotors and the factory pads lasted until 95,000 km. The rear pads and rotors were changed at 122,000 km. No major maintenance outside of putting a clamp around the heat shield when it came loose (took 3 minutes). Overall, it's been reliable (knock on wood).

My only complaint is that the hood release failed. Acura charged me an hour's labour to diagnose the problem and then gave a written estimate in the neighbourhood of $850. I took it to a body shop who made due with the original parts and charged me $20.

2003 Acura RSX Premium from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Excellent

A broken piece of plastic in the door panel: Fixed and have never had another issue.

General Comments:

Very happy with the car. It's fun to drive, economical if I am, and has some 'oomph' when it needs it.

Very good car.

Review Date: 14th July, 2007

2003 Acura RSX Type s 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L Manual
Distance when acquired52000 kilometres
Previous carAcura camero

My check engine light stayed on, all I needed was O2 sensor the warranty covered that.

General Comments:

I want to buy an air intake kit for my car. However I'm not sure which brand (K&N or AME) to get? I am also wondering about the types of kits, short ram, cold air, and AME v2 induction system. Which one is better? and is it much better?

Review Date: 31st March, 2006

9th Jan 2007, 19:51

I own a 2003 RSX type S with a K&N typhoon air intake and a Bola exhaust system. This combo works sounds and works great, DC sport headers and a Hon data chip will be the next improvements. This car rocks and is a blast to drive as I'm sure you already know!

2003 Acura RSX Base Sport Coupe 2.0L ivtec from North America