2002 Alfa Romeo 156 TS Sportwagon 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Okay car, 1.9 JTD preferred if as reliable as mine has been

Thermostat stuck open (a new replacement was faulty).

General Comments:

Hated it from day one, but it has grown on me in the 12 months of owning it.

Have been worried again from day one about it breaking. I bought it as a car that I had used now and again got written off, and this was nearest to me with the spec I wanted.

After 12 months, I have been surprised by its reliability.

My recent cars prior were a Fiat Marea 2.4 diesel estate (had for 6 years), a Subaru Impreza Turbo estate (MY2000), and a 1.5 dci Renault Megane.

The Fiat 2.4 estate was a brilliant car; Fiats in my experience tend to be better put together, and the Fiat drove better than this 156; nippier and nice to drive.

This 156 does nothing for me in terms of driving; it is the first car I have had without a turbo for over 12 years. It certainly doesn't make me want to drive fast, and I have always been a bit of a speed freak.

I was really disappointed when I bought it and drove it away; foot down and no torque and no power, feels better after 12 months, but initially disappointing.

The interior is about the best thing about it.

Charcoal leather seats look good and feel good; good on a run across France.

MPG wise, I probably get 29-32. Last time I checked, it was 32mpg.

Uses a bit of oil and water, so need to check weekly.

I don't think I would have another, but Alfas do tend to look better than most in their price range.

If I did get another, I'd look at the JTD.

Review Date: 9th June, 2010

10th Jun 2010, 03:00

That's an interesting review. The twin spark engine does lack a bit of grunt under 3000 rpm, after which it really opens up nicely. I suspect that you would much prefer the 2.5 V6, which has torque all the way through the range. It is a beautiful engine. If you can get your hands on a 156 GTA (they also made sports wagon versions) I think you would be pleasantly surprised. Myself, I love the twin spark in a standard 156. :)

2002 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS Veloce 2.0 from Russia

Summary:

Great idea - terribly put together

Well... Where do I start. I've spent an equivalent of more than 3 thousand dollars on my car since May.

I've had the steering rack fixed. Then the pump in the power-assisted steering. Then the catalyser. Then the generator. Then bits of suspension. All of this - in the space of just four months!

General Comments:

Great design, beautiful car, fantastic comfort and performance - but it falls apart. Almost literally. I am now trying to get rid of it as quickly as I can - I think I'll go back to German engineering.

"Why do two colleagues who both own Alfas never say hello to one another over morning coffee in the office?"

"Because they'd already done that in the garage a few hours earlier".

Review Date: 30th September, 2009

2002 Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 from Sweden

Summary:

Best car of the decade

Parking-lights twice.

General Comments:

Having owned/driven Volvo, BMW, Fiat, Mercedes, VW, Ford, Citroen, I have driven nothing but Alfas since 1990 (33, 155, 156, 156 GTA). I must say that the latest one is the best of them all. Makes me smile on each ride.

Fast and quick, superb handling and stylish like no other car. Really for someone who wants style and performance and personality. Would not replace it with any other car!

Review Date: 1st June, 2008

2002 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon 2.0 JTS petrol from Luxembourg

Summary:

The Selespeed transmission is fun for me and easy for my wife

Actionator on Selespeed box died, was replaced under guarantee; catalytic converter also needed replacing.

Plastic interior cover on the rear light well (interior of rear hatch door) keeps falling off.

Not much room in rear seats for adults.

No damn cup holders!

General Comments:

Love the car, bought it used with a one year guarantee for 9.500 Euro. This model has all the extras (Bose stereo, roof rack, leather, etc) and is a real pleasure to drive. It handles like a dream on windy roads and uses less fuel then I expected (overall avg 9L/100km, mostly city driving).

This car was in excellent condition when I bought it, so much credit to the previous owner.

Review Date: 13th July, 2007