2006 Audi A3 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 2.0 TDI Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

This car saved our lives

Nothing.

General Comments:

I only had my A3 up until a month ago, I owned it from new for a year and a half, and it never gave me any bother.

The 2.0 diesel was a strong performer and returned a very respectable 53MPG on long trips.

The interior in my opinion is best you can get for the price. I do wish I had gone for the more expensive Nappa leather as the standard leather had a rather hard wipe clean type finish.

I only serviced the car once at 18,000 miles and I think the Audi dealer did take advantage when it came to servicing. My first service was over £300 for an oil change, not much else. The brake pads didn’t need changed for another 40,000 miles I was told and the wiper blades for another 30,000 miles. The car was a good example in quality.

My relationship with this car came to an abrupt end, when driving home from a friend’s house with my girlfriend on the M6. A foreign truck sideswiped our car as we were overtaking it in the middle lane, our car hit the safety barrier and bounced back onto the motorway before getting hit passenger side full on by another car, sending our car spinning into another safety barrier protecting a motorway bridge. All 6 airbags had deployed. I was able to escape using my driver’s door, but my girlfriend was trapped until the fire service came. I spent four nights in hospital, and my girlfriend spent 3 weeks in recovery. But I was told by the fire service later that when they approached the scene they didn’t expect anyone to be alive in the vehicle. They were surprised at how well the passenger compartment remained largely intact. I owe our lives to safety technology in my old A3. I get my new Audi A6 in a few weeks time.

Review Date: 4th September, 2007

2006 Audi A3 Sportback Ambition S-Line 2.0TDI 163BHP from Belgium

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 2.0TDI 163BHP Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz C-Class

Summary:

Fantastic driving car, but reliability could be better

Rattles in the interior.

High oil consumption, 1 liter/3000 miles.

Car left me stranded on 3 different occasions, 2 times when being on the road.

General Comments:

Let me start by saying that this car is quick, and I really mean quick. It handles and grips fantastic thanks to the sport suspension and 17" tires.

The DSG automatic (or S-tronic) is incredible, without any doubt the best automatic gearbox available on the market. That in combination with the very powerful 2.0TDI 163BHP (tuned down for fiscal reasons) and the gorgeous looks made me go for the Audi. It's a LOT of money for such a small car, but quality has its price, and the pleasure of driving you get in return is worth the money. At least I save money with the not so thirsty diesel engine ;)

Reliability is quite a letdown, on 3 occasions there was a problem with some kind of sensor which left me stranded. And I didn't expect to have rattles in an Audi, although I have to say that apart from that the build quality and finishing is fantastic.

The engine consumes a lot of oil, too much in my opinion, but the dealer says it's normal when you have a sporty driving style.

Anyway, I'm constantly on the road with a big grin on my face, and that outweighs the unreliability matters by far.

Review Date: 8th May, 2007

15th Jun 2007, 02:37

Your car is not "really fast", it is a diesel automatic!

Try the S3 model to get a bit of perspective dude!

3rd Aug 2007, 05:52

Ah that's not fair; compared to a 'standard' family hatchback it is very fast. Comparing it to a performance car isn't matching like-with-like.

7th Aug 2007, 06:45

The S3 is a 2.0 Turbo Petrol and the A3 (lack of) Ambition is a 2.0 Turbo Diesel, it's a very fair comparison.

It gets my goat when people say that diesel cars are really fast!

10th Jun 2008, 15:14

Blimey - your goat is easily gotten.

15th Nov 2008, 14:47

Perhaps your goat should have a look at the Audi R10 TDI, winner of last year's Le Mans...

Yes, diesel cars can be fast, it is only perceptions that say they cannot be.