2006 Audi A3 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

2006 Audi A3 Sportback Ambition S-Line 2.0TDI 163BHP from Belgium

Engine and transmission 2.0TDI 163BHP Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz C-Class

Summary:

Fantastic driving car, but reliability could be better

Rattles in the interior.

High oil consumption, 1 liter/3000 miles.

Car left me stranded on 3 different occasions, 2 times when being on the road.

General Comments:

Let me start by saying that this car is quick, and I really mean quick. It handles and grips fantastic thanks to the sport suspension and 17" tires.

The DSG automatic (or S-tronic) is incredible, without any doubt the best automatic gearbox available on the market. That in combination with the very powerful 2.0TDI 163BHP (tuned down for fiscal reasons) and the gorgeous looks made me go for the Audi. It's a LOT of money for such a small car, but quality has its price, and the pleasure of driving you get in return is worth the money. At least I save money with the not so thirsty diesel engine ;)

Reliability is quite a letdown, on 3 occasions there was a problem with some kind of sensor which left me stranded. And I didn't expect to have rattles in an Audi, although I have to say that apart from that the build quality and finishing is fantastic.

The engine consumes a lot of oil, too much in my opinion, but the dealer says it's normal when you have a sporty driving style.

Anyway, I'm constantly on the road with a big grin on my face, and that outweighs the unreliability matters by far.

Review Date: 8th May, 2007

15th Jun 2007, 02:37

Your car is not "really fast", it is a diesel automatic!

Try the S3 model to get a bit of perspective dude!

3rd Aug 2007, 05:52

Ah that's not fair; compared to a 'standard' family hatchback it is very fast. Comparing it to a performance car isn't matching like-with-like.

7th Aug 2007, 06:45

The S3 is a 2.0 Turbo Petrol and the A3 (lack of) Ambition is a 2.0 Turbo Diesel, it's a very fair comparison.

It gets my goat when people say that diesel cars are really fast!

10th Jun 2008, 15:14

Blimey - your goat is easily gotten.

15th Nov 2008, 14:47

Perhaps your goat should have a look at the Audi R10 TDI, winner of last year's Le Mans...

Yes, diesel cars can be fast, it is only perceptions that say they cannot be.

2006 Audi A3 2.0T Sport 2.0 from North America

Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

Wonderful

Nothing.

General Comments:

I got the A3 because I wanted to go back to a small, fun-to-drive car with a four cylinder. I have been absolutely delighted. The A3 is wonderfully quick, the DSG automatic is terrific, and the car gets good comments and second looks frequently.

Mine has the sport option, and the ride is firm, but not uncomfortable. I really appreciate the handling when I get the opportunity to run back roads in the mountains. The regular suspension might be a better choice for some. If you leave the DSG in “D” you can motor around very smoothly, gently as you please. Push down to “S” and the difference is telling. Shiftpoints are much higher, the car is up on its toes, and the need for the fully manual shifting is almost non-existent. Or, switch over to manual mode, and find a curvy road: Nirvana. The downshifts are really cool, with perfect computer-controlled throttle blips to match revs.

I typically get about 28 mpg in mixed driving. When I want the car to step out, it goes. No turbo lag, no torque steer, just quick. Or, I can tool around like a Buick. Interior space up front is excellent for my 6’3” frame. My teenage daughters and their boyfriends fit well in the back. Cargo space is limited, but what do you expect for a car that almost fits into the bed of some folk’s pickup trucks? My favorite accessory is the “Phatnoise” music system out of the Audi accessory catalog. It works with the CD player to allow literally thousands of tunes from my CD collection to be at my fingertips all the time. Google for Phatnoise for more info.

Review Date: 26th August, 2006

2006 Audi A3 from North America

Previous carFord Explorer

Nothing.

General Comments:

Have had this car for three months and have put on 13,000 miles. I like the car more every time I drive it. Drove through an awful rain storm in Louisiana and Alabama and it handled like a dream. The DSG transmission is an absolute wonder of functionality. The sound system is wonderful, and the seat are comfortable and firm.

I am 6'4" and have plenty of room once I get inside, whoever, I wish the door jams were about an inch or two taller.

I have been getting between 26 -30 miles to a gallon on the highway with some city driving.

My only complaint is that the sport seats should be power operated.

Review Date: 4th February, 2006

2006 Audi A3 2.0 turbo from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Manual

Summary:

This car is amazing in all ways, it will save you gas yet give you the ride of your life

Nothing so far except the window in the back was not going down or up in the back, the dealer ordered the part and in a week it was here. They installed it in an hour.

General Comments:

If you are looking for a car with a lot of power and handling you will like the a3. The front of it is just amazing, I love mine. The one thing I wanted was quatro it was not offered in the 2.0 when I bought it. Traction control on the car is exceptional. Try not to pass up the 6 speed manual. The clutch is so easy and first time stick drivers will be able to get used to it quickly.

For all you power addicts out there... revo offers a chip that will get your 2.0 260hp and 299 pounds of torque. I will be getting mine next week.

Review Date: 31st January, 2006