2008 Audi A4 SE 2.0 TDi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Overpriced, but still a nice car

Not much while I have had it (I bought it used) and has only needed servicing and wear and tear items replaced, such as brake discs and pads, and had some suspension work at the last MOT. According to the detailed history however there were some very expensive repairs to the turbo and injectors quite early on in its life.

General Comments:

A great car to drive, the A4 handles very sharp and acceleration from the 2.0 TDi is good enough for most drivers. 50 + miles per gallon is also possible if you take it easy.

Interior is black cloth (not leather) but still very comfortable and well equipped, I believe the SE model is mid range. I really hate the electronic handbrake, would prefer a lever! I bought this car used at over 10 years old and still paid a little too much for it, but Audi's hold their value well. My biggest concern is that although a nicer car to drive and more refined than my old 2003 VW Passat, the A4 is very expensive for a car that is only slightly better than my old car. But I am glad the previous owner took care of the major expensive issues on this car before I bought it!

Being silver in color it hardly stands out, as 90% of the cars on the road seem to be silver, however for a 2008 car it looks very similar to the latest models and hard to tell how old it is. I'm enjoying this car for now, but any expensive problems I will get rid of it, just not worth it in my opinion. Audi dealers are extortionate, even "Cheaper" independents still want a lot for diagnostics alone, however I was aware of this when I bought the car. Overall I would recommend it, just be aware things get very expensive real quick with this. Always buy a looked after car with history, avoid used high mileage ones with no history.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2021

2008 Audi A4 1.8 petrol from Norway

Summary:

I'll never buy another Audi or Volkswagen because of the rust problems these cars have

Fuel pump - just outside the 5 years warranty.

General Comments:

Don't buy this car unless you live in a desert.

The car will start to rust after 5-6 years. Paint will blister from even the smallest chipping.

My second car, a 1998 Saab 9-5 has less rust issues than this Audi.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2017

4th Jul 2017, 21:48

Interesting, most cars I've had of a similar type did not start to rust until after 10 years old, and even so it was only small cosmetic marks.

Back in the day, Audis and similar cars were considered tougher than your average car against rust. Assuming you cleaned and looked after them properly. Maybe that's changed in the last 10 years or so with quality control going downhill; who knows.

2008 Audi A4 B8 1.8 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Interesting, but too early to tell yet

Nothing yet; I've only owned the car for a few days.

General Comments:

I really like the style of the car; it's a black S-Line with 18" wheels and xenon headlamps, and it is a very different turbo to the 2.0 FSI Jetta; it accelerates more like a diesel, and the CVT is unusual in its delivery.

I thought I had done some decent research and comparison shopping with the Mercedes C-Class and 3 series BMW before I purchased, but it was not until I got the car home that I found that there were some glaring omissions in the equipment that is fitted to my Audi.

The Jetta was very well equipped with heated seats and mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror, lots of nooks and crannies for storage. The Audi in comparison is extremely poor; there are no courtesy lights, no glove box light, door pockets are shallow, there is nowhere other than the glove box to store CDs, and there is only a single CD player, unlike the 6 disc system in the Jetta. Apparently there is a plethora of accessories one can order when buying new, but there is no reason to be so stingy with equipment in what is a fairly expensive car in Australia.

Boot space really is marginal, no storage areas for a fire extinguisher and the like in the boot, no cup holders for rear passengers, and the battery is one of the bulkiest I have ever seen, and it dominates the boot space. There's no full size spare, which does not auger well for the very long distances we travel in Australia.

I do like the instrumentation and lighting; finally got rid of that red and blue combination in the Jetta that drove me nuts!

I will have to see have to see how things go. I have some regret at the purchase at the moment, and should possibly have stuck with my earlier choice of a C-Class Mercedes or VW Passat Coupe, which are both fully equipped.

I'll just have to persevere!!

Review Date: 19th October, 2013