2008 Audi A4 SE 2.0 TDi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Overpriced, but still a nice car

Not much while I have had it (I bought it used) and has only needed servicing and wear and tear items replaced, such as brake discs and pads, and had some suspension work at the last MOT. According to the detailed history however there were some very expensive repairs to the turbo and injectors quite early on in its life.

General Comments:

A great car to drive, the A4 handles very sharp and acceleration from the 2.0 TDi is good enough for most drivers. 50 + miles per gallon is also possible if you take it easy.

Interior is black cloth (not leather) but still very comfortable and well equipped, I believe the SE model is mid range. I really hate the electronic handbrake, would prefer a lever! I bought this car used at over 10 years old and still paid a little too much for it, but Audi's hold their value well. My biggest concern is that although a nicer car to drive and more refined than my old 2003 VW Passat, the A4 is very expensive for a car that is only slightly better than my old car. But I am glad the previous owner took care of the major expensive issues on this car before I bought it!

Being silver in color it hardly stands out, as 90% of the cars on the road seem to be silver, however for a 2008 car it looks very similar to the latest models and hard to tell how old it is. I'm enjoying this car for now, but any expensive problems I will get rid of it, just not worth it in my opinion. Audi dealers are extortionate, even "Cheaper" independents still want a lot for diagnostics alone, however I was aware of this when I bought the car. Overall I would recommend it, just be aware things get very expensive real quick with this. Always buy a looked after car with history, avoid used high mileage ones with no history.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2021

17th Jan 2022, 10:04

Yup, a mate of mine has a 2010 Audi A4. Nice car, and definitely better than rivals like the Vauxhall Insignia, Ford Mondeo, and at-least on par with the BMW 3 series, but the car has cost him a fortune in repairs. Not any more reliable than your average run of the mill car and it costs a lot to run in general. Nice cars, but just don't let anyone fool you think you are getting a cheaper classy car just because they are older and cheaper to buy now; you still have to factor in expensive repairs, especially to diesels. You can say the same for the Mercedes C-class from the same time period.

20th Jun 2022, 06:42

The thing to remember about all these cars now is the same thing to remember with any car that was expensive when new - you must find a cheaper independent garage that will do your repairs for cheaper than dealer prices. I'd never take any car that is more than 10 years old to a main dealer for repairs. Thankfully I have a local Audi specialist who looks after my petrol A4, and I have found the petrol versions of these cars much cheaper in the long run than the diesels.

2008 Audi A4 1.8 petrol from Norway

Summary:

I'll never buy another Audi or Volkswagen because of the rust problems these cars have

Fuel pump - just outside the 5 years warranty.

General Comments:

Don't buy this car unless you live in a desert.

The car will start to rust after 5-6 years. Paint will blister from even the smallest chipping.

My second car, a 1998 Saab 9-5 has less rust issues than this Audi.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2017

4th Jul 2017, 21:48

Interesting, most cars I've had of a similar type did not start to rust until after 10 years old, and even so it was only small cosmetic marks.

Back in the day, Audis and similar cars were considered tougher than your average car against rust. Assuming you cleaned and looked after them properly. Maybe that's changed in the last 10 years or so with quality control going downhill; who knows.