2008 Audi A4 Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 1.8 turbo Semi-Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Interesting, but too early to tell yet

Nothing yet; I've only owned the car for a few days.

General Comments:

I really like the style of the car; it's a black S-Line with 18" wheels and xenon headlamps, and it is a very different turbo to the 2.0 FSI Jetta; it accelerates more like a diesel, and the CVT is unusual in its delivery.

I thought I had done some decent research and comparison shopping with the Mercedes C-Class and 3 series BMW before I purchased, but it was not until I got the car home that I found that there were some glaring omissions in the equipment that is fitted to my Audi.

The Jetta was very well equipped with heated seats and mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror, lots of nooks and crannies for storage. The Audi in comparison is extremely poor; there are no courtesy lights, no glove box light, door pockets are shallow, there is nowhere other than the glove box to store CDs, and there is only a single CD player, unlike the 6 disc system in the Jetta. Apparently there is a plethora of accessories one can order when buying new, but there is no reason to be so stingy with equipment in what is a fairly expensive car in Australia.

Boot space really is marginal, no storage areas for a fire extinguisher and the like in the boot, no cup holders for rear passengers, and the battery is one of the bulkiest I have ever seen, and it dominates the boot space. There's no full size spare, which does not auger well for the very long distances we travel in Australia.

I do like the instrumentation and lighting; finally got rid of that red and blue combination in the Jetta that drove me nuts!

I will have to see have to see how things go. I have some regret at the purchase at the moment, and should possibly have stuck with my earlier choice of a C-Class Mercedes or VW Passat Coupe, which are both fully equipped.

I'll just have to persevere!!

Review Date: 19th October, 2013

2008 Audi A4 Quattro Premium 2.0 turbo FSI from North America

Model year2008
Year of manufacture2008
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo FSI Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Everything I dreamed about so far

Just got the car, nothing wrong. It is Audi CPO with a perfect Carfax, and the only service history it has is just the usual oil services and inspections.

I got to look over this car in the service area before they did their certification inspections, and it was nearly perfect to start with.

Will provide updates as the miles pile on.

General Comments:

This is my first "new (ish) " car, also the first I am paying for entirely by myself. I have only had this car for a couple of days. I drove other A4s, and they have all been impressive, and none have exhibited any flaws. I have done very extensive research on these cars, and I am the king of preventive maintenance as evidenced by my very successful BMW ownership (next paragraph).

As much as I love my old BMW 318i (219,000 miles and still no problems), I have to say I am not terribly fond of the newer BMWs, and this A4 is actually closer in design and spirit to the older body style BMW, while being thoroughly modern with the latest toys.

My only disappointments so far are the lack of Bluetooth and satellite radio, but this is a used car, so being picky is impractical. Nonetheless, these things can be added to the brilliant factory stereo at very little cost. Also, I got this car for $22k, as opposed to $37k for a comparable new one. Audi also financed the car for me at 4.9%.

The Audi dealer I purchased from was surprisingly flexible and willing to match prices, VERY friendly people too. They even picked me up at home so that I would not be inconvenienced in juggling this car and my BMW when taking delivery. I feel lucky, as the other Audi dealers in my area have less-than-positive reputations.

The performance is more than ample from the turbo four, though I am still figuring out which mode works best for me with the Tiptronic transmission. It has "Drive, Sport, and Tiptronic" modes. I have found the paddle shifters useful, and I love how they respond no matter which mode you are in.

The seats are simply amazing, much better than the BMW seats, closer in design to those found in larger Mercedes. Mine has the heated front seats, adaptive xenon headlamps (auto-leveling and they swivel with the steering system), and the convenience package with rain-sensing wipers and other assorted goodies.

All in all, a very handsome and incredibly well put-together car with all of the right features, rich materials, and it looks/feels absolutely showroom new, even with 50,000 miles (really, it does, I looked at brand-new ones too).

I will post updates as the miles accrue.

Review Date: 17th November, 2010

27th Nov 2010, 13:57

Update: first 1,000 miles (52k on car) : just returned from a long trip in the car over Thanksgiving where everything performed flawlessly. Also, Audi Financial updated my deal and actually LOWERED my interest rate to 3.4% due to a miscalculation when the application was first entered. If things continue to go well with the car, Audi Financial, and the dealership, I will be a repeat customer!