2009 Audi A4 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A wonderful driver's car full of great technology, performance, & engineering in a beautiful package

The steering wheel shook at about 35 mph and higher.

The tires were "out-of-round" and would not balance even after force balancing.

The power steering hose failed.

The black leather from my belt wore off onto the leather seats, so that there was a black stain on the leather.

All these issues were fixed under warranty.

General Comments:

The car was wonderful. It drove beautifully. The interior quality was fantastic. The ergonomics had a couple of things that needed improvement, but minor.

I loved the way it looked -- so beautifully designed and engineered. Sporty and comfortable. Powerful. Wonderful features.

All the manufacturers copied the front driving lights from Audi.

It was a driver's car.

Review Date: 16th January, 2014

2009 Audi A4 S Line 2.0 litre turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The pleasure of owning this car outweighs any problems I've had to deal with

Rear door won't open from outside, but will open from the inside (dodgy door lock catch).

Fuel pump replaced because it had begun to whine.

Thermostat replaced - symptoms were the engine was taking some time to get up to temperature, and in standing traffic the temperature gauge dropped.

General Comments:

This is the Audi A4 2.0 litre TDi with common rail injection, 170 BHP & saloon variant (aka B8 chassis). Mine is the non Quattro model.

Previously I had owned a 2003 A4 1.9 TDi 130 Sport, and took that car all the way to 253k on the clock. I was gutted when I sold it - loved it. Engine/turbo/gearbox were absolutely solid, and even with that mileage it just drove like a dream (having been serviced religiously).

There was no question I was going to go for another A4 TDi, and boy oh boy the new A4 2.0 litre S Line is an improvement. The handling strikes a balance between firm and comfortable. i.e. when cornering there is only a hint of body roll. The build quality is just exceptional, and the performance of the 170 BHP diesel engine is ample.

Also, another thing that draws me to Audi's in general is the body styling. Growing up as a kid, I always aspired to a BMW, but... the entire Audi range spanks its BMW equivalent in the looks department. Just my view - not knocking BMW's. I love the day running lights and the shape of the A4. These cars just look awesome, and will age well in terms of keeping a 'current' look about them.

Problems: OK so I've had a few things go wrong already that have disappointed me. Is it enough to put me off the Audi badge and look elsewhere... no! Love the look of the car, love the performance, love the Audi brand, all good.

Oh and fuel performance: This engine is bonkers. It's a bigger and more powerful engine than my previous A4 TDi, yet it's more economical. Right now (Dec 2013) it's costing typically £80 to fill the tank with diesel @ £1.35 per litre, and I'm averaging 625 to 650 miles. Note however a lot of my mileage is done on the motorway.

Absolutely recommend!

Review Date: 24th December, 2013

2009 Audi A4 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

A stress reliever in the snow, and a dream to drive

My car started using oil at 55,000 miles after the warranty expired. It got worse and worse; by the time the car was at 70,000 miles, the car was using a quart every 800 miles.

General Comments:

I love the car! It drives like a dream! I want to keep it.

Audi was so wonderful, and fixed the rings and pistons and whatever else was wrong, so I am soooo grateful!

I plan to keep my car for a very long time. I would buy another Audi over any other car.

Review Date: 18th October, 2013

2009 Audi A4 1.8 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Audi must have shares in Shell Oil

Very disappointed with the excessive oil usage. I am using 1 litre per 800km. An Audi oil test said it was using oil in an acceptable range of 1 litre per 1000km. What a joke, Audi needs to step up and take responsibility for its poor handling of this very common fault. Do not buy an AUDI!

Review Date: 1st May, 2012

2nd May 2012, 14:31

That sounds excessive - I've had 5 Audis, and in the owner's manuals, the highest it should consume is 1L/1000 km, not 800. Even then, I barely had to top up the oil.

Check the owner's manual - if it says it should only be a certain amount, then you have a case.