2009 Audi A4 Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Year of manufacture2009
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Semi-Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

An outstanding vehicle that we are very happy with

Shake at front tires, not properly inflated at pickup from dealer.

General Comments:

The Audi has been a pleasant surprise. We were shopping for a new BMW when the dealer stated we might want to look at the Audi that was in stock. After a short ride... we were hooked.

A read of the reviews from several reliable sources had us a bit on edge at the time of purchase. Reliability being one of the main concerns. So far the Audi has been very reliable, minus the dealership failure to properly inflate tires at delivery.

The vehicle has great power for the size, the interior and standard options with the Premium Plus are well above what we could get with the BMW 3 series. The look of the exterior is outstanding. We have received many comments from strangers about the beauty of the car.

The BMW definitely has great feel of the drive, Audi is more of a luxury drive and feel. That being said, the Audi will definitely handle even though the feel of the drive does not accompany it. Once you get use to that, it is quite a comfortable car. Long drives have been quite comfortable with no real issues.

If I had to do over again, I would definitely opt for the Audi over the BMW. Although we were skeptical at first, we have been very happy Audi owners since we drove it off the lot. Great Job Audi!

Review Date: 4th December, 2009

2009 Audi A4 Avant Executive S-Line 2.0 TDI 143PS turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2009
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0 TDI 143PS turbo diesel Manual
Previous carBMW 5 Series

Summary:

Wants for nothing, except a bit more power and comfort

Nothing.

General Comments:

The look of this car is what made me order it, and you feel a lot more special driving it than a BMW of similar price.

Compared to my previous BMW 520d SE, it is remarkably smooth and quiet. The engine is less coarse and is significantly less tractor like in sound. However, it is less powerful (140bhp vs 163bhp), and slower by some margin.

Traction is OK, off the line it's initially quick as a front wheel drive compared to the BMW, but the engine runs out of puff after the first couple of seconds and acceleration becomes rather sedate. In the damp or wet, initial wheel spin with even moderate acceleration is high, with a thunderous judder if you give it anything more than a quarter throttle.

Handling is good, ride is hard, but to be expected with the lower and harder S-line suspension. Be wary with 3 or 4 people in the car, the slightest of speed bumps, humps and undulations in the road will be accompanied by a scrap of your undercarriage!

In car equipment is excellent, you want for no extras apart from Sat Nav, apart from that it's all there.

All in all a very good car. Looks good and makes you feel good. Power is lacking and ride is generally harsh, but drive it gently and calmly and it's all fine.

You get everything you need for a £30k car, but if I purchased it with my own money I would opt for a bigger output engine, an automatic (which I test drove and is excellent), and quattro 4 wheel drive.

Chris.

Review Date: 7th November, 2009

2nd Oct 2011, 17:12

I find myself agreeing with the comment above. My 320d (older 163PS engine) went back to the lease company and I was loaned an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 143 S-line for a month. It took about five miles before I realised the ride and tyre roar were both completely unacceptable. The BMW was firmly sprung, but nothing like this, yet was a far more agile and sporting handler when the road turned twisty.

The Audi is the better looking car, and it made a whole month without something packing up (more than the BMW ever did), but the whole thing felt harsher, more crude, and dare I say, cheaper than the BMW. Definitely for me a beautiful car whose looks are only superficial.