2006 Audi A8 Quattro Sport turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Wonderful to drive, and the best way to get top luxury motoring at minimum cost

Nothing - just routine brake discs and pads.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a lot. I bought it for £7000, so depreciation is tiny now, which offsets higher fuel costs (my previous car was a Toyota Prius). However, fuel consumption is not bad. It does 40 miles per gallon on a long run and the Prius only did 50 (despite what Toyota say). If you buy the right car at this age, it can still be very reliable, and this car gives very cheap luxury motoring.

I chose to refurbish the wheels when I got it, as the alloys were tarnished and I spent a bit on a few minor body blemishes. I have a full service history, and the car has never needed anything serious over its life. It actually drives better than some newer cars.

I particularly like the power, 4 wheel drive, electric heated sports seats, and the easy of using the telephone, CDs and sat nav.

Review Date: 1st January, 2015

2nd Jan 2015, 08:52

I agree with this approach to buying a car. I bought a luxury coupe for 10% of its original price, and now that fuel costs have come down, it's not costing a fortune for me to run.

2nd Jan 2015, 12:53

I followed this approach with on an old Honda Accord with top spec (OK I know, not a real luxury car). I followed these rules:

- Look for a full service history.

- Choose a good brand of car.

- Look for a car with good brand tyres. If the previous owner neglected tyres, then what else was neglected?

- Not too many owners.

- How long did the last owner keep the car? If the previous owner kept it for less than two years, then why did they get rid of it?

- Keep some cash spare for consumables (tires, brakes + unforeseen costs e.g. I needed a minor electrical repair).

- Buy with your head, not your heart. There is never one perfect car, but loads to choose from.

It worked OK, I got a good car at 10% of the original price for 25K+ miles. Only problem, a minor car crash meant the insurance company just wrote it off before they looked at it.

3rd Jan 2015, 12:30

Absolutely, I bought a £70k Mercedes 1 owner car for 10% of that figure and it's really indistinguishable from new.

2006 Audi A8 L-W12 W-12 from North America

Summary:

It's a nice car

Nothing.

General Comments:

Wonderful car, very wonderful. It's extremely powerful and the ride is smooth. It carries a stance that says "I'm here and I'm not moving against my will." Many times during traffic I wish I could turn into "The Transporter" and avoid it all. For a big saloon it handles quite well, and theres very little body roll. I love the way it surges forward at the slightest touch of the throttle.

I have it set up so it's a 2+2, which in turn makes it much more roomier, and my passengers often compliment on the high level of comfort that is offered. Wood trim seems to be everywhere, and that's a good thing. It compliments the sandstone colored leather very nicely. Audi really did a nice job of thoroughly designing this car and adding the little details that matter. I would much rather take this car over a Mercedes or a BMW, though the BMW did come close. Before this Audi I had a BMW 735i, and that was a very nice car, back when it was new. If Audi had made this exact car back then, I would have gotten this one. For some reason, Mercedes just hasn't been meeting the bar for me lately. Oh well, I like Audi better anyways.

Review Date: 15th January, 2007

16th Jan 2007, 00:04

I completely agree. The attention to detail in these things is astounding; way over-engineered.

23rd May 2007, 19:17

It is not really for driving, more like aiming. Even at the sporty setting it never feels capable of anything, but boat like manuvers. Very expensive and expensive to maintain. The engine and transmission don't always get along. Lots of power, but not immediate power. I have not had a chance to drive it in inclement weather, but I am sure it would do okay, despite the very wide tires which can hydroplane easily.

I like the looks, the interior, and the stereo, but the performance isn't up to the price.