1990 Audi Coupe Reviews

Engine and transmission 2.3 5 cylinder 20v Manual
Distance when acquired190000 miles
Most recent distance195000 miles
Previous carBMW 5 Series

Summary:

Street legal rally car

Nothing really wrong other than needing some regular maintenance.

General Comments:

I've had this car for about half a year now and it's awesome. I changed a lot of parts on it as preventive maintenance like timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil pan and valve cover gaskets were leaking, so I changed those.

The 5 cylinder motor is incredible! 7000 RPM redline! It sounds amazing with an aftermarket exhaust.

The styling is out of this world. If it looks this good now, I wonder how impressive it looked in 1990 when all other cars, especially American, looked like crap.

To make it look even better, I've installed a hood from a 1994 Audi 90, and it made it look 10 years younger. People look at me with disbelief when I tell them it's a 1990.

This car handles great, especially in harsh weather conditions thanks to its Quattro permanent AWD. I love not having to slow down into turns in the rain.

This car is originally a east coast car, and spent its first 10 years in the salted streets of Pennsylvania. There is minimal rust on the car, which is impressive considering a Toyota Tundra's frame starts to rust badly after only a few years on the east coast.

When I bought the car, a headlight didn't work, so I took some contact cleaner and sprayed it on the connector, and it started working right away. I did the same to all the other connectors under the hood, and it helped a lot. I recommend trying a cheaper method first like contact cleaner ($6) on electronics and connectors before spending $$$ on new parts. I do all the work on it myself because (1) I'm a poor 20 year old kid and (2) I love the satisfaction of knowing I did everything right, and in the process cleaning and polishing everything to make it look brand new. If I type any more, my fingers are gonna seize up!

Review Date: 12th September, 2010

1990 Audi Coupe 2.3 from North America

Model year1990
Most recent distance220000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

I broke a drive shaft, front and back wiper motor, heater core, just recently :headgasket.

General Comments:

The coupe is such a really nice car to drive, torsen blew my mind when I first bought the car.

Review Date: 25th April, 2005

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.3 20V Manual
Previous carVauxhall Cavalier

Summary:

I absolutely love it and believe I have made the right choice in purchasing one

Front wishbone bushes replaced.

Tail gate creak - resolved with a bit of grease!

Not the most economical of cars, but who cares when it's so much fun to drive?

General Comments:

Beautiful car to look at.

Timeless design.

Extremely comfortable to drive.

Superb handling.

Surprisingly quick, considering the weight of the car. Can reach speeds of 150mph+ without too much trouble!

Very reliable and parts not too expensive these days as there are plenty of used parts available.

Review Date: 11th January, 2005

1990 Audi Coupe 20V 2.3 20 valve from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.3 20 valve Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Understated gentleman's express

Needed new brake discs and shock absorbers all round, as you would expect at the mileage.

Distributor drive gear was noisy and had to be replaced - a common fault.

Front lower wishbone bushes needed replacing, again a common problem at this mileage.

Exhaust back box disintegrated - expensive and difficult to track down.

Water leaking into boot via tail light seals - a well known problem.

Temperature gauge inoperative - another common fault.

General Comments:

Considering the age and mileage, this is an astonishingly quick, solid and reliable car.

Around town it is as docile as a VW Golf, but above 4000 rpm the power builds very rapidly, and the 20V engine sounds gorgeous.

It is incredibly comfortable, and practical too with a hatchback and split folding rear seats.

The downside is that they are very rare, and even routine replacement parts can be hard to find and expensive. Many parts catalogues do not list this model, and there are very few in breakers' yards.

Review Date: 26th April, 2002