2004 Audi TT Roadster from North America - Comments

10th Dec 2008, 10:53

I am having similar problems with my newly-purchased 2003. The wetness shows up in the top storage well behind the seats, and migrates into the trunk, causing condensation. No trouble in the footwells. I have seen trails of water from the joint between body and cloth top... does this mean my drains are clogged? Did they ever fix it satisfactorily?

21st May 2010, 12:51

In my experiences of owning the Audi TTs I have never had a problem; I had even bought some that were "Salvaged" and fixed them up to be a great car.

Personal input is I think everyone has had their own experiences. Whether it was good or bad.

Normally I use a mechanic who is not from a dealer. Dealerships just want to rip you off.

I would go out and buy a new top, leave everyone out of it and use it as a tax write off. A lawsuit against Audi would not be worth it, you would spend more money in court costs, than to replace it yourself.

11th Oct 2010, 00:10

Audi TT Roadsters have an obvious design flaw with the drain system for the convertible roof. The drain tubes are flimsy plastic tubes lined with foam and a spring. This design means that anything that gets into the tube (that isn't water) will ultimately cause a blockage. That means the tubes back up and flood into the B pillar causing electrical failures in the car.

After my local dealer used an airgun to "blow" the tube clean I discovered that they had actually blown the tubes off. This was only discovered with a video inspection camera.

Even after having the tubes replaced and the car dried, I am still suffering electrical failures and will ultimately get rid of this car.

15th Dec 2010, 08:04

Same issue. 2004 Audi TT and the water does not drain properly, backing up into the car.

In the past year, I have had the battery replaced once and the central locking unit/convenience control module replaced twice. This has happened a third time and rather than replace the unit, I am replacing the car.

What "engineer" designed a system that would allow water to backup and get into the electrical system? Despite this design flaw, the dealer says that it is my fault, not theirs. I guess I designed the car. It seems to be a problem for this car for all years.

15th Dec 2010, 20:05

"I would go out and buy a new top, leave everyone out of it and use it as a tax write off."

Exactly how would you justify a new top for your convertible as a tax write-off? This IRS agent would like to know...

Add another comment