2011 BMW 3 Series 320d 2.0 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Vastly over-rated, you are just paying for the badge

New clutch at 6000 miles.

General Comments:

The car handles well, and has good mid-range power.

The seats are comfortable, and I have no problems driving long distances without feeling fatigued.

The model I have is the efficient diesel 320d; it is averaging at the moment 61 MPG.

The interior is poor, no sat-nav, no cruise control, no split rear seats. Compared to a Mondeo of the same value, the BMW does not come close in comparison.

The main complaint I have is of clutch judder; the car had a new clutch at 6000 miles, and has now started juddering again. If you check on the Internet, this is a common problem.

Review Date: 7th June, 2012

13th Jun 2012, 07:53

I had two replacement clutches, and a new gearbox on my 320d under warranty to cure clutch judder. They never managed to completely get rid of it. They even accused my driving style of damaging the dual mass flywheel. I asked them how they would explain the fact that my last two cars (both from VW) were DMF equipped diesels, and did over 100k each without a single problem.

Great cars to drive, but a shadow of what they used to be in terms of engineering integrity and reliability. Very much trading on the name in this respect. BMWs used to be unbreakable, even if abused. The new stuff is fragile, even when treated carefully.

2011 BMW 3 Series from North America

Summary:

I regret this purchase, and am greatly disappointed

This car has been problematic since I got it (brand new!) The computer required re-programing because of erratic idling upon start up, and hesitation when accelerating. Right now it is being serviced for the 8th time, and I am without a car! The battery needed to be replaced because it wasn't powerful enough. I have never owned a car that required as much service as this car has had in the 1 year I have had it.

General Comments:

In my opinion, German engineering is over-rated (my last vehicle was a Volkswagen Jetta - stay away from that too!).

Review Date: 27th September, 2011

30th Sep 2011, 01:54

If your car is under warranty, the dealer should have provided you with a courtesy or loaner car.

However, I agree with your observations and comments that this generation of 3 series does not seem to be as durable or trouble-free as the previous E46 generation.

3rd Oct 2011, 19:39

3 series what? Do you know one model from the other?