1982 BMW 5 Series Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1982 BMW 5 Series 528e 2.7 from North America

Year of manufacture1982
Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Rock-solid in-expensive gem

General maintenance that you would have with any car made in 1982.

Car has 200000 miles on it and has had 1 brake job, 1 new set of tires, a new clutch, and a new shift box. Besides that this car is all original.

A few slight electrical problems:

Short in lighted shift knob caused lights in instrument cluster to go out.

Front-lit cluster panel lights were replaced.

Air conditioner no longer works.

Leather seats are starting to crack slightly.

General Comments:

An unbelievable ride for it's age and mileage.

This was my 1st and definitely not my last BMW purchase.

Bought for just 2000 dollars I have driven this car every day for 2 years and it has been virtually maint. free.

Parts are not as expensive as some would have you think, however service can be pricey. Keep in mind that if the car has been taken care, very few things go wrong with these cars.

The thing to remember here is that you are buying a solid German built machine. There is nothing cheap about this car, inside and out. How many cars can you say that about these days?

Do a general search on-line and see just how many 528e's are still around, many will have well over 200,000 miles. What does that tell you?

If you have a chance to purchase one of these in-expensive gems, do it. You will not regret it.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2003

9th Nov 2006, 14:04

I enjoyed your comment. Very well put. My 533i has been a daily-driver for 9 years. It now has 185,000 miles on it - and still runs, and looks great. It's not garaged and is driven in the snow (with Snow Tires of course). A fabulous, powerful, durable engine, and one of the most solid chassis BMW made. Few know how special these cars really are.

1982 BMW 5 Series 520i 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1982
Most recent year of ownership2000
Previous carBMW 525e

Summary:

A classic

Won't start, changed the HT leads and the distributor cap.

General Comments:

A great car to own, one of the first early E28's, the car was purchased due to my previous 525e being written off by the insurance company after an accident.

The 520i is now in storage and will be prepared to show condition. For a car of almost 19 years old there is no rust on it. I intended to keep it as original as possible.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2000

24th Apr 2005, 01:18

I do own the same car, and its worth having. I just adore the sound of the engine as I start the car. Where I live you won't find this car, and I think that I probably have the last car in my country.

9th Nov 2006, 14:10

I agree. Hang on to your E28. There aren't many nice examples left - especially pre-`85 models. I own a limited production 533i, which I plan on hanging on to for a long time. I, like you, would like to restore it.