1982 BMW 5 Series 528e 2.7L from North America
Fantastic ride, would buy another one
Always was drawn to the lure of a BMW and finally bought this 528e.
Paid 1500.00 for it 2 years ago at 219K.
Soon realized I had a "big job" fixing it up due to the lack of maintenance by the previous owner:
- Shocks/Struts all around
- Idle control Valve
- Valve adjustment
- Fuel pressure regulator (car stalled at stop lights when hot)
- Fuel tank rotten, refurbished
- Timing belt, water pump, all front seals (were leaking) on the 2.7L
- Oxygen sensor
- Front brakes
- Worn out seats (a surprise as my Golf has 400K and the seats are like new)
- Broken shifter knob replaced (split)
- As a preventative measure I replaced ALL hoses, coolant and vacuum)
- Replaced park brake cables at 220K.
- Minor electrical problems (RR window, instrument cluster lights)
While this has basically been a restoration project, in my view it has never let me down. Too bad the previous owner let the car go.
In hindsight I would make sure I take a closer look at the care of the next BMW I purchase as this one was really headed for the wreckers. Saved now, but after $4500 CAD I have put into it, much more that it is worth. And I ordered 90% of the parts from the USA, as the dealer prices in Canada are outrageous.
I love the handling, most especially on long trips. This car is the most relaxing unit I have ever driven. 150KMH is as smooth as glass.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 22nd September, 2004
2nd Sep 2010, 00:53
I am looking at a rare 1983 525e with a 5 speed Manual. The current owner has resurrected it and has in my opinion lovingly restored it... it is go-or-jus! He is only selling it because he has 3 parking spots and with the addition of a new wife... 4 cars and he would rather keep his newer M3 and M5.
The car has been top to bottom, front to back inspected and where necessary repaired. I am however not overly mechanical and do not have the tools and space required to do any work on the car, with the car I would inherit the current mechanic, but I am still a bit apprehensive as I do need this to be a daily driver.
Anything I should be concerned about? Any problems arise after your overhaul?