2001 BMW X5 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Great car buy the manual shift

Hand brake needed replacing.

General Comments:

My X5 5sp manual has close to 90k miles on it and we have had ONLY a handbrake replacement on it, I change my own oil, brakes filters etc, I've read a lot of negative comments, my advice would probably be to buy a stick if you have tranny issues. We looked long and hard to find one and it has be well worth it. I drove an Acura MDX that had transmission failures TWICE!! So I'm pretty happy.

Review Date: 19th August, 2007

2001 BMW X5 from North America

Summary:

Total over-engineered junk

Have to agree with the others JUNK 100k miles driveshaft and transfer case went day after it comes out the shop at BMW for front axles, as well as a water pump and many more months in the shop totaling over 15,000 dollars, bout what its worth now, JUNK NEVER AGAIN!!!

General Comments:

JUNK don't ever ever buy one less you like fixing cars and finding parts till 4am! GL.

Review Date: 19th October, 2006

2001 BMW X5 4.4i from North America

Summary:

Great car, fun to drive, but expensive to maintain

Coolant tank leaked at 50,000 miles, had to replace it for $1000, not under warranty anymore.

Check rear or brake light sign keeps lighting up in dashboard. Had to replace rear lights 3 times already and they still go out after it rains.

I see nightmares every time a warning light goes on in the dashboard. $$$$$$$$$$

Car sucks up gas like crazy. Definitely not a fuel efficient vehicle.

General Comments:

Despite its problems, this is the most fun car I have driven, but I have only driven Mazdas, Mitsubishis and Chevrolets. This is a driving machine. It glides on the road and it does 80 miles per hour like other cars do 40. It is a joy to drive. The only reason I´m ready to trade it in is that once the warranty is gone, it is $$$$$ to maintain. The computer is sensitive and everything is very costly to repair. Unless you have big pockets for repairs and fuel, the fun will wear off soon. I would still buy a BMW when I have more money to handle it. They are classy cars. In terms of SUVs, this is my favorite, I dont know what else you would buy after the almighty X5.

Review Date: 29th April, 2006

2001 BMW X5 3.0 3.0 Liter from North America

Summary:

Nice ski car, but gas hog

The main computer stopped working at 8,000 miles. It rendered the car inoperable. It was replaced under warranty in a day.

The windshield broke and since it was a rain sensing one, required a week to replace and cost $600! Not worth it - I can torn on my own wipers!

Some of the interior bits broke and were cheaply made. Minor things, cup holders, etc. True of lots of BMW's.

General Comments:

This was our first SUV and it will be the last, unless it's an old workhorse. The car handled well in the snow and ice, had good ground clearance, and generally handled well for a truck. It accelerates well for a small 6 cylinder hauling a 4,500 pound vehicle.

On the downside, it has a choppy ride, lacks cargo room, and gets terrible gas mileage. We averaged 14 in city driving, the best I got was 22 on a trip at constant speed.

Review Date: 6th September, 2004