1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very very over -rated, bad handling

Major leaks in the boot, from somewhere.

Leaked in through the drivers door rubber seal.

Car wandered over the road even with the steering wheel kept still.

Clonk noise from the back axle.

Problems selecting reverse.

General Comments:

I was so upset about this car.

I hoped it would be all that I expected.

It was just awful. The seating position was poor and the offset pedals were very awkward. The gear box was OK, but my wife found reverse too difficult to select at all.

The handling was very wobbly and shaky. It stuck to the road well, but bounced around unbelievably.

I really feel that this is the worse car I have ever had. I am about to sell it and lose a lot of money, but I can't live with the leaks and bad handling any more.

Review Date: 15th May, 2003

24th Mar 2006, 15:28

Sounds like you bought a 'lemon'. I've had 4 of em' steadily gaining more power all the way. still sorry that you haven't enjoyed the car as much as others have though...

Very best regards.

Dave.

28th Dec 2007, 18:50

Sound like you actually bought a car with some sort of rear damage... previous accident highly probable. Always take your car for a relatively long journey before purchase, B type road, highway etc.

1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A bachelors classy convertible

Nothing has gone wrong with the car. It has been a joy to drive and handles like it is on rails.

I did however modify the suspension and lowered the car for better cornering and that created a negative camber on the rear wheels. This caused the inner side of my tires to wear out. A camber kit was then installed on the rear to rectify this problem at a cost of $US250.

General Comments:

For a 1.9L and a weight of 1300kg, the car does move and I am happy with it.

I always wash my car on Sundays, and it really turns heads.

I give this car the thumbs up for anyone thinking of buying one.

Review Date: 15th December, 2002

1st Mar 2004, 21:30

Hey, I just want to know how much you payed for this baby.

1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An overpriced convertible pretending to be a sports car

The rear screen became too scratched to see out of.

The factory fit alarm failed.

General Comments:

I bought the car new after a 12 month wait. I was initially happy with the power, but found it too uncomfortable over 70mph. The chassis was very poor.

Rear tyres had worn by 4000 miles.

The microwave alarm kept going off with the hood up or down so I disabled it (the dealer couldn't fix it).

The biggest problem with the car was depreciation. Shortly after it arrived, BMW changed the rear arches and boot-lid which hurt financially when I came to sell it.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2001

22nd Nov 2011, 17:37

"Poor Chassis"?

The Z3 Coupe has the stiffest chassis BMW ever built. The roadster is obviously not as stiff, but is damn good for a convertible.

Bad handling? Only a mid-sized engine car would handle better, or one with double wishbone suspension like the S2000.

1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fools Gold on wheels

Steering problems.

Windscreen leaked.

Warped and scorched brake disc after a stone flew up and lodged in the disc.

Didn't always start first time.

General Comments:

A big disappointment and I should have brought another Audi. The BMW Z3 may as well have a Skoda badge on it as it's only the BMW name that sells it. My old Audi was far superior on performance and comfort (especially if you are over 6ft) and was more of a sportster than the Z3 could ever hope to be. As a colleague of mine once said, "It's a girls car".

Review Date: 17th September, 2000

11th Jul 2001, 05:28

And, dare I say it, how does an Audi A4 come across as better perfomance than a Z3 2.8?? short of owning an S4 that is...

A colleague of mine has an A4 1.8T (about the quckest A4, the 2.8 is lazy) and that is not even close.

Best Reg's.