1972 Buick Centurion Sport Coupe from North America - Comments

27th Jan 2006, 14:54

The Centurian WAS the sporty versionof thew Lasabre. I had a 73 LaSabre 4 door, and I remember spending a lot of time trying to score some Centurian rims to make my "old man's" car look like a four door sports coupe. There used to be at least two people in my town with convertible Centurians...

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Pretty soon we'll all be driving around in egg shaped cars that sound like they have no mufflers on them.

27th Jan 2006, 18:56

Wow, a Buick GS455, sounds super cool! 1971 really was one of the last years for the big, comfortable, super-cars, of all brands. Doubly cool because Buick didn't have as many entries into the muscle car race as some other models, so the cars like this are even more special. Until just about this year, the auto manufacturers just haven't offered anything as cool since about 1974. Too bad the usual "old car haters" had to chime in, but they just will never get it.

12th Jan 2008, 06:37

I inherited my parents' 1973 Centurion when the Buick dealer offered them only $ 500 for it in the early '80's. It carried six people comfortably, and there was no discernable difference between driving 85 mph and 40: many was the time I was cruising down the interstate not paying attention, and looked down at the speedo to see I was 20 mph over the speed limit.

On the other hand, it averaged between 9 and 12 mpg (at reasonable speeds, not 85!), the windows never met properly when raised, and the doors were so heavy that children and the elderly had trouble getting them open or closed. As a mechanic once said, "they make a whole car out of one of those doors now." My 4-banger Camry is just as comfortable, a whole lot safer, more reliable, and gets three times the gas mileage. So much for the "good old days."

13th Jan 2008, 10:15

"Hmph. A 1971 ANYTHING would get looks on the freeway just by virtue of its age. "

Sure, that's the point. It's no different than somebody who drives a lowered Cadillac Escalade or a Honda Civic with a giant wing and neon light ground effects. They like it, and they like that it gets looks.

Regarding the assumption that old cars must get bad gas mileage: bunk. My 1973 Dodge gets 24 mpg on the highway, and that's with a stock, carbureted V-8.

I love seeing old vehicles on the road. It brightens up the day to see something different than the usual "bubble cars."

17th Jul 2008, 17:45

I had a 71 455 special Buick LeSabre Convertible. I had it for 22 years and now I am trying to find another one. Yes, it had no gas mileage, but no one ever passed me. I loved that car.

12th Oct 2009, 21:00

I'm about to get a 71 LeSabre with a 455. I don't know what the gas is gonna be. I'm kinda scared because it's going to be a daily driver. I think they make cams that help with the low end torque though :)

13th Jan 2013, 11:28

No way a newer Camry is just as comfortable as a 1971 Buick. And while the Camry will get infinitely better gas mileage, that's really the only thing the Toyota has on the Buick.

Add another comment