2003 Buick Century 3.1L from North America

Summary:

Buick should have replaced all 3.1L intake gaskets for free in a recall

Found out after I got the car, both rear window motors were bad. Seller was a relative and said one was bad, but was not aware both were bad. I replaced them, and then the front two window motors went bad less than 3 months later!

I drained the radiator fluid and it had engine oil in it! I had to replace the intake gaskets with updated gaskets to correct the oil in radiator fluid issue. Every intake gasket on every 3.1L Century is bad because of the poor intake gasket material design!

The transmission bangs into gear and I have not had time to fix the transmission. That is a solenoid issue and is another common GM issue!

The alternator was making a horrible noise and I replaced that too. The issue was the bearing was bad, because after I took it off the car, you could barely spin the bearing. I am a GM and ASE mechanic, and all this work I mentioned, would have cost someone in the $3-$5k range!

General Comments:

I got this from a relative that brought it in for service when the advisor recommended it. The issues were not a result of lack of maintenance, but poor quality parts. I would have been upset if I had paid $25k for this brand new car, and after 36k miles, had to pay out an additional $5,000 for all the repairs GM has been aware of for years and refuse to correct!

Review Date: 14th September, 2015

2003 Buick Century Custom 3.1 V6 from North America

Summary:

Efficient, comfortable, and reliable

Other than a bit of body wear and rust thanks to not being washed often by the previous owner, this car has been rock solid for me.

Routine maintenance has kept the car running perfectly for the little over 30,000 miles I've owned the car.

General Comments:

I really feel that a lot of thought was put into the design of this car. After having driven quite a few other cars, I'm consistently impressed by how user friendly this car is. Things like the lights shutting off after twenty minutes if left on really impress me about the car.

The build quality has held up well inside, and the interior is good in a conservative sort of way, which is my preference.

Excellent gas mileage out of the 3.1 engine, beating the EPA estimates by quite a lot in my case.

Off the line acceleration isn't the greatest, but this isn't a sports car. Highway power is fine.

The transmission is a weak point on this car, but fingers crossed it hasn't failed me so far. Another common issue with this car is strut tower rust, but that hasn't been an issue on my car yet.

Overall if I had to do it again, I'd still choose a Century. Maintain it well and it will take care of you.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2015

2003 Buick Century 3.1 from North America

Summary:

If the enemy of good is perfect, this car is good, and I am keeping it

Struts needed to be replaced, just too soft for my taste.

Temperature sending unit.

Front brakes.

That's it.

General Comments:

This car is great, absolutely great. I drive slow and easy, and it suits my temperament to a tee. It could be a bit more comfortable and handle better like the Mercedes E Class that I wish to own, but when you can pay for a Buick Century, why bother buying other cars. Some cars are marginally better in some respects, but not worth the cost and fuss that fancier cars carry. Any mechanic can handle repairs, and they don't come often.

I did switch out the coolant to the old normal green stuff to avoid hopefully any intake gasket problems.

I get consistently 28 mpg around town, and up to 36 on the highway. During a long 5 hour highway trip with my lead footed friend driving, we averaged 32 mpg at 85 mph. He was amazed. I wished he would drive my car as nice as I do.

It also looks reasonably nice, and when compared to an Camry or Accord, I do prefer my Buick, and it is not because I am stupid. I just like a comfortable riding car. So keep your ego for things that don't cost thousands of dollars, and give good consideration to buy and drive what old wise people do, BUICKS.

Review Date: 30th June, 2011

30th Jun 2011, 16:31

You are very right, the Century is a much nicer car than any Camry or Accord, even the new ones. Not just the old are wise though. I am 26 and just bought a brand new Lucerne (my third Buick).