1976 Buick Electra Limited from North America - Comments

25th Jul 2006, 22:20

Great review. You tell 'em, man! I love the look of those mid 70's boats.

26th Jul 2006, 15:28

Yea, I totally support you for driving this old car and agree with all the reasons. Gas mileage savings are never going to pay for a new car, and these run pretty clean if you keep them tuned up and taken care of. No car payment, and thus the finance company doesn't make you buy the maximum insurance coverage for "their" car. Also agree on reliability--no computers breaking, no software crashing in the transmission, and no engine sludge problems that everybody seems to be talking about on new cars. Before I got my '85 Dodge truck, the newest car I ever owned (or still own) is a '73 Dodge, and I don't really see any good reason to get anything newer. This year I finally drove a car (2006 Impala) that rides more quietly and smoothly, but I doubt it would be more dependable, and it isn't so much more smooth to blow 25 grand on.

12th Sep 2006, 17:50

I'm about to purchase a 1976 Buick Limited. I got it for a reasonably low price. As a child, my parents used to own and drive a 1974 Buick Electra. That car was the smoothest machine I ever rode in! Such cars are so rare nowadays that I would usually look twice whenever I see one. I've always wanted to have that car ever since my parents got rid of it 25 years ago. Now I get the chance to own a piece of the last great American car.

2nd Jan 2008, 23:53

Hey Buick Owner,

I just inherited a 76' 455/210hp 2 door Buick Electra Limited Red with the custom leather landau top from my great grandpa who took excellent care of it. I took it because it was a sentimental gift It even has a name that he named it (Josie), Its even got a CB Radio. I am absolutely in love with the car now and am looking for ways to fix it up. After I take it in to get things running in top shape of course. It had been in a shed since he died, when I got in it, it started right up and I drove it back to topeka kansas with me 4 and a half hours away on one tank of gas with NO PROBLEMS. You have listed some typical problems with these styles of cars. I was hoping you could share a little more info on what I can expect these cars to be weak on. Also, that fin towards the back side of the car on mine between that bumper guard and my taillight is missing... Got any good references on where I could find it? I'm not used to the older vehicles, I've had a 98 chevy 1500. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

28th Mar 2009, 23:18

1974 Buick Electra Limited Landau Coupe - Bought it on Ebay and drove it home to San Antonio from Long Island, NY. Almost made it all the way before a runaway alternator fried the ignition system! It is bright red with a white Landau roof and red velour interior. The odometer worked intermittently, but I figure it burned about 6 gallons an hour on the interstate! You can get replacements for the plastic and rubber parts for the rear fender extensions and the rear bumper fillers from a company in Georgia who reproduces them in fiberglass. Just enter what you want on EBay motors and their EBay online store will pop up with pictures of the items.

Add another comment