1988 Buick LeSabre Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1988 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8L V6 Automatic
Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

A smart buy for a beginner that wants a little power, without the price!

In April of 2003, I replaced the front brake pads.

In May of 2003, I replace the windshield wiper blades.

General Comments:

This car looks like an old pappy or granny car. However, don't let the looks fool you. I is a super fast car that really doesn't look all that bad.

It handles wonderfully!

The column shifter hits my knee if I go into a lower gear than Over-Drive. That's the only thing I really hate.

The doors are so long and so heavy.

The seats are so comfortable!

Even at 119,000 miles it still get around 21-22 miles per gallon. (That's on Mountainous Roads)

Review Date: 1st July, 2003

1988 Buick LeSabre t-type 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

Incredibly dependable, inexpensive and great looks

Alternator failed at around 80k.

Wheel bearing assembly became incredibly noisy recently and had to be replaced.

A/C pump failed and I replaced the entire system with updated components.

Spoiler has been replaced and is warping again.

Door panel brackets broke, but were easily fixed.

Drivers side window pivot bracket failed. Less than $5.00 to fix.

Harmonic balancer failed around 80k and that was the only dealer service I have had to have performed.

General Comments:

My late father-in-law bought it new, which was a shock since he had leaned toward Ford Crown Victorias and similar vehicles.

He had very little trouble with the car.

After he passed away I took the car in lieu of it's retail value in inheritance.

It still runs like it always did... very fast.

It has never left anyone stranded.

The paint is original and with the exception of one mirror has no fading or peeling.

It is the 2nd best car I own for gas mileage. No. 1 is my 300ZX.

The parts have always been reasonable, readily available and the labor involved has usually been easier than many I have worked on. Case in point: 300ZX.

The (leather) interior has held up extremely well considering the age of the car.

This fact lead me to spec leather interior on a new vehicle I just purchased for my wife.

I like the styling of the car better than all the "look alike" vehicles on the road today.

Most people are very surprised to find out it is 15 years old.

Though listed retail value is less than $2000 there is a ground swell of Buick fans who realize the t-type model is very rare. I have only seen 3 in real life since 1988.

Review Date: 9th April, 2003

5th Mar 2004, 22:43

I JUST GOT ONE I could not be happier.

6th Mar 2005, 01:36

I have owned a 1988 LeSabre T-Type for 5 years now. When I bought it it had 110,000km/68,000 miles on it. It now has 235,000km/146,000 miles. It is Silver with black trim and interior. It's been a priviledge and a treat to own and I have no intention of selling it. It has been a low maintenance, economical car to operate and a treat to drive. I am third owner and have all the bills from the original owner and the owner I purchased it from. The car was $28,000.00 Can when it was new. It gets driven year round and is very reliable even in -40 degree weather in the dead of our Canadian winter. I have kept it original. The front scoop has been a constant concern and the power windows are slow, but other than that I have no complaints. Only compliments.

16th Feb 2006, 23:28

I owned a 1988 LeSabre T-Type bought brand new in 88. I LOVED that car. Comfortable, never any problems. It was rare, I only have seen a half dozen or so since that purchase. One of the guys at the gym I worked out at bought one after seeing mine. Great car!

1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Most recent distance320000 miles
Previous carBuick LeSabre

Summary:

The best car in the world

The door windows being so large required frequent maintenance/lubrication in order to work properly.

General Comments:

This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. The Buick LeSabre t-type 2 door is one of Buick's best looking, best driving cars ever built! I have had no problems with this car ever! With good normal maintenance, these cars last over 300,000 miles easily, and I still wouldn't hesitate to take it on all our long vacations and drives! It is just an incredible performing, super reliable car. Probably the best car in the world.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2002

24th May 2004, 20:04

I love this car!!! I have done some small mods to it that game it a bit more kick. I have added a supercharger and a new intake manifold. It's just how I want it now.