1988 Buick LeSabre Custom 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Like if a Nova and a Jeep had a love child, it would be my 1988 Buick Le Sabre

Between when I bought it and now, all I have had to do to it is put a new water pump, alternator, battery and brakes.

Other than that, the previous owner said he put a new tranny in it around 150000 miles.

Front windows stick and fall into the door.

Arm rests are falling off, it was nothing a screw did not fix.

A.C. broke at 230000.

General Comments:

Faster than my 1997 Mustang.

Can take on 4WD roads with ease.

Handles OK.

Very very comfortable.

Low maintenance.

Cruising machine.

Looks great.

I will keep it running until it dies, then I will fully restore it. That's how much I love my car.

Review Date: 18th April, 2007

1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type 3.8 from North America

Summary:

It's a so so car

Just bought a 1988 Buick LeSabre T-Type. Several parts have already been changed such as: Transmission (at 113000 km), alternator, gas tank, coil pack.

The air conditioner no longer functions due to a leak in one of the tubes. The heating does not work when I put it on high and when it does go on there is no air coming out due to something blocking it. Right now I have a rusted power steering line that needs to be changed because it is leaking fluid. The driver door does not close properly and due to this water enters the car if I wash it, water enters the trunk and ends up smelling afterwards and I have no idea from where. Water enters on the inside from the middle of the win-shield. Driver seat torn, door handle in all worn out. My temperature gauge does not work properly, my oil pressure gauge is always stuck to the max. My control for the electronic mirrors work only for up, left & right.

General Comments:

It's a nice looking car, fast, very rare car that's what I like about it. However, there are too many problems to fix, most importantly is the rust, the body is totally full of it.

Review Date: 26th September, 2004

13th Jan 2005, 17:56

Hi!

It sounds like you got the car after someone else pretty well wore it out! I have an 88 T-Type too, that I am going to give to my son in March. It has 230,000 miles on the original engine and transmission! The driver seat is well wore and the dash is a little warped, but otherwise the power door locks and the heater controls all work! The stock radio died a long time ago! I did replace the heater blower motor last winter, so now it sounds like a plane taking off when you have it on high! So much for replacement parts being like original equipment! I've replace the struts and shocks once, the trans shifts a little hard into reverse, otherwise this car will go! I forgot what all was wrong with yours, but maybe check out junk yards for parts that aren't mechanically related to help dress your LeSabre back up to somewhat original condition! Just a thought!

1988 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon 5.0 gas V8 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful blend of large size, comfort and economy

Alternator, which took battery with it in Phoenix in July. Understandable.

Water pump, upon return from 3000 mile tip to Phoenix towing a car. Also understandable.

Rear lift motor to power driver's seat not functioning. Don't really need it.

Cruise control does not work. Have had part of it replaced, but after $250 and being told next item to replace will be additional $300, decided cruise was not that necessary.

General Comments:

Car was purchased as a family hauler and tow vehicle. Performs the former extremely well, but has trouble with the latter.

5.0 liter V-8 is adequate for power, but as the vehicle was built during the 55 mph days, it does not respond well at 70-75. Towing another car further limits it. If car is operated at 60 mph, power is good, as well as handling, and gas mileage is about 20 mpg.

Extremely comfortable. Third seat allows for eight passengers, and it holds that number with great ease.

Ride is very smooth, even on the most punishing roads. Turning radius is amazing. Air conditioning will keep you cool, even in Arizona July afternoons.

Overall I would say this is an excellent choice for the family. Plenty of comfortable room, adequate power, as well as decent gas mileage for its size. Should handle a small travel trailer or boat will good results.

A true Queen Family Truckster.

Review Date: 12th August, 2004