1994 Buick LeSabre Limited from North America - Comments

7th Jun 2013, 03:08

My sympathies to the commenter born in 1984. I was born in 1968, so during my youth and young adulthood I had a wealth of wonderful full-sized, ultra-reliable, comfortable and safe American cars to choose from used at incredibly cheap prices. With reasonably low fuel prices, I 'motored nearly for free' from the mid 1980s through about 2000 or so. Nowadays of course all is lost - and not just automotively.

9th Jun 2013, 01:36

I was born in 83, well basically a few days away from 84 if you wanna get technical LOL. I also understand where the both of you are coming from. Growing up in the late 80's and into the 90's, it was just a sad time for cars in general. I missed all the big luxury cars, the great muscle cars of the 50's-70's, since by the time the 90's rolled around, all those cars were hardly seen on the roads back then. It sucks that as a kid I never grew up around any great classic cars, but now that I am older, I have a great appreciation for them and a own a couple myself.

The old school tanks of the 50's-70's were America's best days in the automotive industry; I don't care what anybody says either (even the worst of the 70's cars, were better than what was built in the 80's). At least back then cars had a REAL sense of styling and were built so solid. Yeah, I hear about reliability issues and what not on certain models in those days, bodies rusting out, engines only lasting to 100K, etc... but if you stuck with the bigger luxury cars like the Cadillacs, Lincolns and Imperials, they were made better for a reason, and used heavy duty parts, big engines, big trannys, that lasted a very long time.

Those 90's Buicks had their positives. Their interiors were pretty crappy, but oh did they ride so smooth and had such nice comfortable seats. They were fairly big inside, even though the car wasn't so big exterior wise.

I wouldn't necessarily say that GM cars were great in the 90's, because A LOT of them weren't; the same can be said for Fords and Chrysler products too, but one thing for sure is, the larger Buicks were pretty nice and had a ton of legroom up front. Cadillac's too were good cars, but they looked far too generic compared to their 80's counterparts, and the FWD cars just weren't as reliable overall compared to the GM B-D bodies. The RWD Fleetwood, including the Chevy Impala, and the Buick Roadmaster were the best of the best of GM's offerings and IMO, was truly the end of the great Full-Sizers that looked awesome and were so dependable, at a time when American car reliability and construction wasn't at its best.

Today though, all the American car companies have stepped up big time, and are finally building cars that look good, and are just as well made as any Honda, or Toyo. The styling has gotten better too. The only thing that is missing are the true RWD, big luxury cars of the past. I love that big floaty American smooth ride that the old cars were always well known for, since personally I can care less about owning something sporty, and stiff riding even at my age! Plus I want something relaxing on a long commute home, not a car that is going to jar the heck outta of my teeth.

Add another comment