1997 Buick Park Avenue from North America

Nice options, but too many little things have gone wrong

Mass air-flow sensor.

Air leveling shocks have gone out.

Transmission kicks hard after an hour of driving, and will not shift correctly afterwards. Apparently a common problem, google buick transmission shifts hard.

Windshield wipers stop in the up position.

Fuel gauge goes crazy when below 1/2 tank. Another common problem.

General Comments:

Supercharged, has lots of power.

The traction control is slow to respond.

Rides very nicely until you hit a bump.

Sound system is nice.

Looks very nice on the inside.

Seats are comfortable.

HUD (head up display) is a very nice option.

Review Date: 4th February, 2009

24th May 2009, 19:57

What do you expect from an 11 year old car with over 200,000 miles? None of the problems you mentioned are very serious and even the transmission is a fairly easy fix if you have a good mechanic which can properly diagnose it. Don't let them fool you into getting a new transmission. I have owned two Park Avenues a '99 and currently an '05 and really wish they still made this model. I will probably try an Enclave next.

6th Feb 2010, 10:48

I have a 1997 Park Ave. and find it to be an exceptional vehicle.

I replaced the air shocks at 80,000 miles with Monroe air shocks for a total of less than $200.00.

The oil sending unit went at 79,000 for a cost of $39.00. I do not consider either of these expenses to be out of the ordinary.

This vehicle has road feel, and is comfortable to drive for 8 hour at a time trips. I can cruise at 70+ miles per hour and yet get 34 miles per gallon. A recent trip from Ohio to Virginia was completed with 1 tank of gas and I had 1/4 tank left when I arrived in Richmond, Virginia. Not bad for a full size luxury vehicle.

I do not know why Buick changed this winner!

1997 Buick Park Avenue Base 3.8 V6 from North America

Don't believe the bad hype, the Park Avenue is awesome

Birds like to poop on it.

General Comments:

When Toyota diagnosed my Tacoma with 80 percent rot and rapid spreading, I had the unfortunate task of searching for a new vehicle to fill the void. She was averaging 30 miles to the gallon on the highway, and I knew it would be impossible to find a vehicle that would give me 8 years of 100 percent no problems.

I started my research, and quickly became attracted to Buick. I've owned several Grand Marquis (mind you I'm 19), and I decided to step down from a V8.

I found Bertha for 4995 on sale with just 75,000 one owner miles. She had just been completely serviced and detailed, so I bought her, and she's been a dream.

I get 22 miles per gallon city, and 29-31 highway.

The options are insane. I have all but the supercharger and heated leather.

It's comfortable, easy to drive and decent on gas for a car of this size.

Don't mind the bad reviews on here; if you can track one down that's been maintained right, then you can be sure that you're getting a good deal.

Review Date: 11th June, 2008

12th Jun 2008, 20:35

I am 23 and have driven a Park Avenue for about 3 years now (a '99 with 140,000 miles). It has been very reliable and I am currently averaging over 27 mpg riding in complete comfort. I am now looking at a loaded 2005 with 13,000 miles. It is pricey at nearly $25,000, but these cars are worth it. It probably sold for over $40,000 new just over 3 years ago. I would recommend this model for anyone who appreciates a traditional American luxury car. No boring Japanese cars for this kid.

1997 Buick Park Avenue 3.8 from North America

This is a simply wonderful car and should not be replaced with anything else

My intake manifold failed at about 175,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is very comfortable to ride in. It drives like a dream and is my all-time favorite car.

Review Date: 1st January, 2008