1997 Buick Park Avenue from North America

Summary:

Nice options, but too many little things have gone wrong

Mass air-flow sensor.

Air leveling shocks have gone out.

Transmission kicks hard after an hour of driving, and will not shift correctly afterwards. Apparently a common problem, google buick transmission shifts hard.

Windshield wipers stop in the up position.

Fuel gauge goes crazy when below 1/2 tank. Another common problem.

General Comments:

Supercharged, has lots of power.

The traction control is slow to respond.

Rides very nicely until you hit a bump.

Sound system is nice.

Looks very nice on the inside.

Seats are comfortable.

HUD (head up display) is a very nice option.

Review Date: 4th February, 2009

24th May 2009, 19:57

What do you expect from an 11 year old car with over 200,000 miles? None of the problems you mentioned are very serious and even the transmission is a fairly easy fix if you have a good mechanic which can properly diagnose it. Don't let them fool you into getting a new transmission. I have owned two Park Avenues a '99 and currently an '05 and really wish they still made this model. I will probably try an Enclave next.

6th Feb 2010, 10:48

I have a 1997 Park Ave. and find it to be an exceptional vehicle.

I replaced the air shocks at 80,000 miles with Monroe air shocks for a total of less than $200.00.

The oil sending unit went at 79,000 for a cost of $39.00. I do not consider either of these expenses to be out of the ordinary.

This vehicle has road feel, and is comfortable to drive for 8 hour at a time trips. I can cruise at 70+ miles per hour and yet get 34 miles per gallon. A recent trip from Ohio to Virginia was completed with 1 tank of gas and I had 1/4 tank left when I arrived in Richmond, Virginia. Not bad for a full size luxury vehicle.

I do not know why Buick changed this winner!

1997 Buick Park Avenue Base 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Don't believe the bad hype, the Park Avenue is awesome

Birds like to poop on it.

General Comments:

When Toyota diagnosed my Tacoma with 80 percent rot and rapid spreading, I had the unfortunate task of searching for a new vehicle to fill the void. She was averaging 30 miles to the gallon on the highway, and I knew it would be impossible to find a vehicle that would give me 8 years of 100 percent no problems.

I started my research, and quickly became attracted to Buick. I've owned several Grand Marquis (mind you I'm 19), and I decided to step down from a V8.

I found Bertha for 4995 on sale with just 75,000 one owner miles. She had just been completely serviced and detailed, so I bought her, and she's been a dream.

I get 22 miles per gallon city, and 29-31 highway.

The options are insane. I have all but the supercharger and heated leather.

It's comfortable, easy to drive and decent on gas for a car of this size.

Don't mind the bad reviews on here; if you can track one down that's been maintained right, then you can be sure that you're getting a good deal.

Review Date: 11th June, 2008

12th Jun 2008, 20:35

I am 23 and have driven a Park Avenue for about 3 years now (a '99 with 140,000 miles). It has been very reliable and I am currently averaging over 27 mpg riding in complete comfort. I am now looking at a loaded 2005 with 13,000 miles. It is pricey at nearly $25,000, but these cars are worth it. It probably sold for over $40,000 new just over 3 years ago. I would recommend this model for anyone who appreciates a traditional American luxury car. No boring Japanese cars for this kid.

1997 Buick Park Avenue 3.8 from North America

Summary:

This is a simply wonderful car and should not be replaced with anything else

My intake manifold failed at about 175,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is very comfortable to ride in. It drives like a dream and is my all-time favorite car.

Review Date: 1st January, 2008