1997 Buick Park Avenue Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1997 Buick Park Avenue from North America

Model year1997
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission Don't Know

Summary:

I would not buy another Buick

Fuel, starting.

I have a 1997 Park Avenue and would like to get rid of, but need it for transportation. Have one problem after another. I have had many electrical problems with it. Now it will not start. First repair the mechanic changed the module that gives spark to the spark plugs with some other module which was replaced. Car started and in a couple of days I had same problem again. Was told that the fuel pump was fine and was not the problem. No repair codes found on its computer. This time when I took the car back to have it fixed, it would not start for the mechanic and when he got in equipment hooked up the car started and now he can not find anything wrong. I can not rely on it anymore. Anybody have a clue of what might be wrong? When it runs it is a nice driving car, would like to keep if for the time being.

General Comments:

Handles great.

Review Date: 27th March, 2006

28th Mar 2006, 08:43

"I would not buy another Buick"

- What with the way that GM is going now, you probably won't be able to to that in the future!

28th Mar 2006, 15:41

Buick, Pontiac, Saturn, and Saab are all potentials for the chopping block as GM slides ever further towards bankruptcy.

10th Nov 2006, 23:23

GM would never phase out Buick. As of 2003 it was the only badge that makes a profit under GM. I think lately Cadillac has picked things up, and they would have been much better off canceling Pontiac and keeping Oldsmobile. Lately they have shrunk down, cutting employees and benefits trying to compete with the Japanese. I do own a Park Avenue, a 2001 model which I picked up used for $9000 a few years ago. It is comfortable and quiet with a little bit of "go" when its needed. I don't demand a lot of a car other than it be comfortable and quiet, but for that price I couldn't have gotten a 10 year old Honda Accord. GM is generally a good used buy because depreciation is so steep. I wish GM the best and hope they can turn around 30 years of bad management and labor relations.

1997 Buick Park Avenue 3.8 from North America

Model year1997
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

Sluggish, but comfortable

Also seems to be the head gasket- received a tip that it may be plenum. I will check with the mechanic.

Other than that the car has been good- just a geezer boring car, bit of a dog off the line, but comfortable.

Review Date: 10th January, 2006

1997 Buick Park Avenue V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6

Front seats continue to have problems.. head rests worst... electric raise and lower mechanism fails and has been replaced. Trim around base keeps falling off. Worst problem is that the head rests are too far to the back that they do not function as anything... in a crash you would have a broken neck before you head touched the rest... and it just will not serve as a headrest !!

General Comments:

GM doesn't think it's a problem. Car OK in most all other aspects..

Review Date: 21st June, 1998

23rd Feb 2001, 20:16

"Headrest" is shorthand for Head "Restraint" incidentally. Thanks for your comments on this vehicle I am considering purchasing.

18th Aug 2004, 17:13

I am looking to purchase my first car and have been reading many user reviews before making my final decison. Iam about to purchase a 98-00 Buick park avenue I noticed no complaints of major problems with engines or transmissions . Iam looking for a reliable car that will stand the test of time and was wondering if any owner of the park avenue would lable this car as anything else.

Thank you.