2004 Buick Rainier CXL AWD 4.2 Liter DOHC Inline 6 Vortec, VVT-E from North America

Summary:

A Very Refined and Elegant SUV

Nothing has gone wrong with this vehicle so far.

General Comments:

The interior is well designed. Ergonomics and controls are excellent. All controls are within easy reach, are easily readable, and are not hard to use.

The leather is elegant and the seats are consequentially comfortable.

Chrome is used abundantly in the cabin.

Real burled walnut is accented throughout the cabin too.

The interior fit/finish is first-rate.

The exterior exhibits first rate fit and finish too.

The engine is strong, smooth, and quiet. Even at 5800 RPM, the engine does not exhibit any harshness or vibration.

The transmission is smooth and has great shift patterns. It easily downshifts when you need to, and delivers great gas mileage.

Gas mileage, on average, is about 15 in mixed driving. The vehicle requires 87 octane fuel.

The Rainier is an excellent vehicle that is as quiet, elegant, and refined as they come. I would take one over an Acura MDX, Volvo X40, and even a Mercedes M500.

A 5.3 liter OHV DOD V8 is also available. This engine produces 300 HP and 335 FT LB of torque.

The standard 4.2 liter DOHC Vortec I-6 produces 275 HP, and 275 FT LB of torque.

Review Date: 1st August, 2005

11th Aug 2005, 11:08

I used to have a Chevrolet Trailblazer, but I am now looking to move "up the ladder" in terms of price. I love my Trailblazer, and I am seriously considering a Rainier; your review has reinforced this consideration even more. Thank you for your opinions and beliefs.

17th Dec 2006, 19:57

In 2003 my wife traded her Ford Explorer for a new GMC Envoy. We've never been happier with any new vehicle, and the Rainier is even more luxurious. It will most likely be our next SUV, as we like the styling very much, and if the ride and performance are anything like as good as the Envoy it will be great. In 60,000 miles of driving we have yet to have one single problem, and the most amazing thing has been the awesome power of the standard in-line 6 and the fuel mileage. This rather large SUV leaves the old V-8 Explorer in the dust, and on a recent vacation trip with the cruise set on the speed limit we got an incredible 24 miles per gallon. GM is definitely doing something right.